Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Brand New Yahoo! Mobile Application Coming Out at The End of May 2009!!!

[ Edited ]

Currently, you can get a new version of Yahoo! Mobile that has a ton of great features! I have set it up as my browser's homepage and I have my browser open up with the Yahoo! Mobile page. Check It Out Here!

The new verison mimics Apple's iPhone and is said to be released at the end of May 2009...

Check It Out Here!

Message Edited by Dankees on 04-05-2009 10:02 PM
Message Edited by Dankees on 04-05-2009 10:02 PM
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Brand New Yahoo! Mobile Application Coming Out at The End of May 2009!!!

I don't know... for web matters, the iPhone UI is certainly pretty but not very practical... a lot of space is lost because of the huge buttons.

Anyways, Yahoo! is coming back every two year with their recurrent "this time, Yahoo! is revolutionizing the mobile web. For real.".

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Super Contributor

Easily configure your new Yahoo! Mobile page by visiting this URL in your computer's browser:

http://new.m.yahoo.com

Super Contributor

This application has just been cancelled... Smiley Mad

Yahoo has made a weird decision regarding their mobile application, pretty much two and a half months after their big announcement of its existence. At this time Yahoo! Mobile (which is basically a revamped version of Yahoo! Go) will not be seeing a launch on BlackBerry devices or any other smartphone for that matter. The following email was sent to users who had signed up to be notified when it was set to be available.

ReplyTo: xxxxx@yahoo-inc.com
Subject: Yahoo! Mobile for smartphones beta update
Sent: May 18, 2009 8:30 AM

After careful consideration, Yahoo! has decided to cease development of Yahoo! Mobile for smartphones effective Wednesday, May 20th.

Moving forward, we will be focusing our efforts on the newly-launched Yahoo! Mobile experience for browsers (available at new.m.yahoo.com) and for the iPhone (available via the Apple App Store).

The feedback we’ve received from our beta testers during this program has been extremely helpful in improving the customer experience across all of our Yahoo! Mobile products. We hope you’ve enjoyed being a beta tester and that you’ll continue to provide passionate input to us regarding our products.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. If you have further feedback or any other questions, please contact customer care.

Many thanks,
The Yahoo! Mobile team

Now while the application may never get to see that light of day on BlackBerry devices, I'm left to wonder if that's really a big thing anyways. The Yahoo! Go application while getting better last time I checked was still a burden on memory so maybe Yahoo! Mobile is better off dead on BlackBerry. Also one thing to point out is this is not BlackBerry specific either, it's for smartphones in general as Yahoo has gone to an iPhone only service.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

I was skeptical about that application... I wasn't so wrong after all.
My opinion is that, for Internet oriented applications, there will be more and more web-applications (that require a powerful browser).

If you take the case of GMail : there is a heavy clientside application for BlackBerry, but only a lightweight serverside application for iPhone. Which bears far much more features than the one on BlackBerry.

It's the same for Facebook : there is an application for BlackBerry, that has (very) limited features compared to http://m.facebook.com/ except calendar & contacts integration.

You're already seeing it on your desktop computer : more and more applications have transfered to a web application (who uses a desktop Mail User Agent today when Zimbra, YahooMail, Outlook Web Access and GMail are around ? apart from corporate users ?)

The means that the key to have a successful smartphone will be the browser, except for very specific needs.
iPhone is leading, thanks to Apple Safari Mobile. But soon Fennec will be available for Windows Mobile (no Android or iphone or BlackBerry though), sonn BOLT will get out of BETA, and Skyfire will be on public beta.

You can also already see applications that look like they are on the device, but truly are already server side, like Shazam, VLingo, Viigo, Google Maps, GMail...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: