Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Broken BB/Back Key :(

I've had my 8900 for ~3 months and today when I was using it in the dark I noticed a hairline break in the plastic above the trackball.I'm with Rogers and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I think I will try calling them to replace that piece... because if I buy/install one myself it would void the warranty.
Contributor
My Device: 8820, Curve

Re: Broken BB/Back Key :(

If it work, don't mess around with something that is working, sure you may fix that small hairline crack today, the next day you will see a piece of hair under the screen.... and so on on.....

I have so many phone, I stop bothering to baby-it every phone I have.. LOL.... Smiley Wink

I have had my 8900 for 3 months & have noticed a hairline crack above the trackball. It has never been dropped or mistreated. My phone is from T-Mobile UK. It doesn't appear to be an isolated incident as there are other sites that mention this problem. The question is now - what can be done about it if RIM doesn't acknowledge it as a manufacturing/design flaw. Be interesting to see how many people are having the same issue.
New Contributor

I have the same hairline crack in the BB/Bacl button just over the trackball as has been described here. I am with Rogers in Canada

I was so excited to get my first blackberry.  I got it in Feb.  I am the type of person who treasures my phone.  I just realized yesterday that the key actually cracked in half!  It is actually above and below the track ball.  I just phoned Rogers and am so dissapointed with their reply.  They said that someone used my phone or I misused it.  I always have it in the holster.  What should I do? Is this considered to be a manufacturer defect?  Cause if I leave like this, it will become worse and become misuse problem on my behalf.  I feel like as if I should chance it and send it in.  Any suggestions?
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

stsui8 wrote:
I was so excited to get my first blackberry.  I got it in Feb.  I am the type of person who treasures my phone.  I just realized yesterday that the key actually cracked in half!  It is actually above and below the track ball.  I just phoned Rogers and am so dissapointed with their reply.  They said that someone used my phone or I misused it.  I always have it in the holster.  What should I do? Is this considered to be a manufacturer defect?  Cause if I leave like this, it will become worse and become misuse problem on my behalf.  I feel like as if I should chance it and send it in.  Any suggestions?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Your carrier is your Warranty resource...there is no other. What you will find is what one always finds in a CSR situation -- you will get a different answer by talking to someone else...so try that, be nice but firm, and see if you can get it handled.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................