Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Browser always through RIM proxy despite local WLAN?

When I have WLAN connectivity, the browser still connects to any web page through the RIM proxy. Is there any way I can tell the browser to not use the RIM proxy? Although I'm on a 6MBit DSL WLAN, I get only ~2.5kB of throughput this way because the RIM servers seem to slow things down severely. Anybody else with similar experiences? Anybody with a solution even ;-) ?

Thanks,

-- Axel

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
OS 4.6.0.168

Re: Browser always through RIM proxy despite local WLAN?

Tried disabling Mobile Network and leaving WLAN on?

See how the speed is then.

It could be a bug or "feature" that the device doesn't know which one to use.. and defaults to Mobile.

If I successfully help you with an issue, thank you for clicking "kudos" in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
Contributor

Oh, it *does* use the WLAN, I can see the TCP connection going through my Linux router. The thing is that it connects to RIM instead of the host that the URL names...

-- Axel

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
OS 4.6.0.168

Hmm .. not sure if that's by design.

One would think that it would bypass RIM.

If I successfully help you with an issue, thank you for clicking "kudos" in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
Developer
My Device: You wish.

[ Edited ]

You are not using the WiFi browser specifically. If it doesnt say hotspot browser or wifi browser at the topic you are using either the Internet Browser or BlackBerry Browser over WiFi.

If you have a BIS account or BES account this is likely what is happening. You can select which browser you are using as the default by going to Options > General Properties > Default Browser and selecting the HotSpot Browser.

If you want to control things a bit more try out the BlackBerry Unite product and Disable Other Browser services or setup a trial BlackBerry Server.

See the following thread asking similar questions:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=Bold&message.id=2357#M2357

Message Edited by viverant on 10-20-2008 01:07 AM
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. But seriously: through which hoops shall I jump just for plain web browsing? The device knows what my current connectivity is. It knows (or should know or should allow me to make it know) that WLAN will generally produce less cost than 3G/EDGE/GPRS connectivity and will provide (unless through stupid RIM's gateways) much better bandwidth. Look at the iPhone and see how this should work. It doesn't really seem anyone at RIM is using their own devices in any real-world scenarios or else this would behave much different.
Highlighted
Contributor

I agree fully, we have a 22m connection in our office and all staff are forced to go through the blackberry proxy at reduced speeds.

We don't have BES and cannot install it due to global policies, we also dont have a hotspot browser alternative as no icon for this.

A bit like blackberry maps not having australia, and so the option of bbmessenger location not usable.

If RIM is going to market the bold at non enterprise users, they should have the infrastructure in place to allow for this type of user, wifi included.