Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

Browser only works on wi-fi connections

Just got a new BlackBerry 8520, and i have a wi-fi connection setup for when im at home, but when i go out and i try to use the browser, i just get the message "This is a Wi-Fi service. Please ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection and try again."

How can i change this? Please, Please help!!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Browser only works on wi-fi connections

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Here is a KB that discusses that error:

• KB14394When attempting to browse to a web site on the BlackBerry smartphone, the following error is displayed: "This is a Wi-Fi service. Please ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection and try again."

Hopefully it contains something useful!

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

Hi there,

thanks for the fast reply! however, it didnt work Smiley Sad i cannot change it from the hotspot mode, however, i have i have previously had a go on the same phone and i know you can do it, do you know anything else?

Whats more, i downloaded the facebook app and that wont work on either the wi-fi or sim

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Hello,

When you say "it didn't work"...there are two resolutions in that KB. You did both and neither worked? Specifics and details always help us to help you better.

Thanks.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

Hi there,

yes tried both, none worked.

Hall of Famer III

OK...then I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB):

1) Register HRT

• Homescreen > Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > blackberry_logo.jpg (it does not matter which line is current) > Register Now

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! Please report back with specific results...especially about the message you should receive as a result of steps 1 and 2.

didnt really understand step 2, and it didnt work Smiley Sad

Super Contributor
My Device: Curve - 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Step 1 should push the appropriate Service Books down. Why are you unable to change it from Hotspot Mode? Greyed out or is the only option? 

Disclaimer: I'm just a regular user like the rest of you. I have spent a lot of time learning the limitations of the Blackberries to know how to fix most problems. If I have suggested a fix, please give a kudo and mark as a solution!

Hall of Famer III

kirby-11 wrote:

didnt really understand step 2, and it didnt work Smiley Sad

Please...details...

What exactly happened with step 1? Did you receive a message to your BB?

What exactly don't you understand in step 2? Which portion? Specific please...

Thanks.

yes, got a text from bb, but on step 2, my phone looks different to the images on the guide link so couldnt do it