02-10-2009 11:07 AM
I've found a very annoying bug with the Blackberry Bold that hasn't been addressed in any of the firmware updates that I've seen to date. I've been able to repeat the bug with several Bold devices that I've had an opportunity to use. I didn't know how to report the bug directly to RIM, so I thought I'd put it up here in hope that somebody at RIM may see it and pass it on to somebody that's responsible for the Bold's software.
Under the right circumstances, the Blackberry Bold will enter standby mode, and will never exit it without resetting the unit by pulling the battery or hitting alt-right shift-del. If the voice dial button (left convenience key) is pressed just as the unit is entering stand-by mode, and then the voice dial feature starts and times out, the unit does not crash, but is effectively useless. Hitting the mute/standby key does not do anything, and neither does any other key on the keyboard. Holding the red hangup key will cause the device to shutdown, but if you turn on the unit again without resetting it, the keyboard will still be disabled (you'll be prompted for the SIM card's PIN, but won't be able to enter it).
Step-by-step procedure to recreate the bug:
- Make sure the left standby key is in its default setting (voice dial)
- Hold down the mute key to put the unit into standby mode
- As soon as the "Entering standby mode" window pops up, hold down the left convenience key
- When voice dial starts up, don't say anything at the voice dial prompts
- When voice dial times out and exits, you'll find that the unit is permanently in standby mode, and the keyboard is completely useless, regardless of how much you press the mute/standby button to try to exit standby mode.
- Only way I've found to get out of this is to pull the battery or to reset the unit with alt-right shift-del
I keep my Bold in my back pocket, and find that the left convenience key gets hit by accident when I put my phone away (after hitting standby) -- this bug was affecting me several times a week!!! Very annoying. I've had to disable the left convenience key to get avoid this issue.
If anybody can pass this on to the right people at RIM, it would be greatly appreciated...
03-01-2009 10:47 PM
12-10-2009 11:13 AM
Thank you... I recently opened up my BBB and replaced the trackball, as well as changed the chrome bezel to black. All worked great but two things started happening,this annoying standby mode, as well as my battery wont last a day. I am going to turn off the side key, and see if the lockup issue goes away, and i cross my fingers that the battery issue goes away as well.