11-28-2012 01:11 PM
Upgraded my Bold 9930 to 7.1 Bundle 2123 (18.104.22.1685, Platform 22.214.171.1243). Now I've got the following problems:
lost all the ringtones (except 4 ptt tones) - this is no big deal
html/mime email only displays as plain text - this is really annoying
random reboots - this is unacceptable
Called Verizon - they said RIM has confirmed there are problems with the combination of this model and this upgrade. Great. They sent me a KB article that suggested I reload the OS using the Desktop Manager. Did that. Still only getting plain text email.
Anyone know how I can get my html/mime mail display back? TIA.
11-28-2012 05:40 PM - edited 11-28-2012 05:41 PM
Hi and Welcome to the Community!
If that specific OS level has this issue, then using it (even reloading it, as they recommended) would actually be contra-indicated for your needs. Hence, you would want to use an OS level that does not have the issue. Sadly, the availability of Release Notes is challenging...it is the carriers who hold responsibility for that, and many don't do so. Hence, forums like this for users to ask other users for advice.
I don't know the specific OS level that would not have this problem, but you are free to use any OS level that is for your specific model BB. Just in case, here's a process:
The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):
1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages
2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed
3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:
4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:
5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.
Don't forget to backup.
If, for some reason, the Desktop Software does not offer the OS package you desire...there is another way that bypasses it.
From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:
Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:
Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.
You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.
Good luck and let us know!