Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: vodafone
Accepted Solution

CAN'T CONNECT TO SERVER

Hello, help needed. My Blackberry Curve 8520 (OS 5.0.0.1036) won't connect to server. It shows my network (Vodafone) and gets a strong signal; makes and receives calls; logs on to wifi; but is otherwise completely static. After the first Setup email screen I get: Your device had a problm connecting to the server.  (I think this means the Blackberry server?)  Hence I can't connect any email.  Same Sim card working fine in my other near-identical Curve 8520.  How do I proceed please?  Is there a complete reset or software update I can undertake? Thanks, Michael

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: CAN'T CONNECT TO SERVER

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for this helpful reply.  Alas it hasn't succeeded.  

I have no problem with step 1.  I immeditely get the registration message ("...your handheld has been registered with the network").  Also a second one called "Activate your email accounts.  (When I do this via Email Setup I get straight back to the "can't conect with server" error message).

Turning to 2., I can access my list of service book entries but none seems to have anything to do with email/CMIME etc. The ones I have are about my browser, BBIM, WiFi, MMS, BIBS, BBFS, TCP/IP, MMS again, and WAP - also one called "provisioning".  Some of these items are marked with ticks, others have circles with a line through.  If I delete any of these they disappear, but come straight back again at the next reboot.

Believe me I have tried these steps half a dozen times exactly as instructed  - must have rebooted 10 times - but I never get to a screen which offers the option you are saying I need.  And that's perhaps bcause of the service book isue?

I may have to give up.  Sadly the phone will be equally useless to anyone else, since it just won't accept  amended or indeed any email settings.

Best wishes, Michael

Further advice would be highly appreciated (I have no source of formal advice available to me because the phone was acquired from someone else - entirely legitimately I hasten to say).

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

michaelcs wrote:

I have no problem with step 1.  I immeditely get the registration message ("...your handheld has been registered with the network").

This is the proper result from Step 1...however...

michaelcs wrote:
Also a second one called "Activate your email accounts.  (When I do this via Email Setup I get straight back to the "can't conect with server" error message).

Since what I provided you with is a process, you should attempt nothing outside of the process until you have completed all 3 steps.

michaelcs wrote:

Turning to 2., I can access my list of service book entries but none seems to have anything to do with email/CMIME etc. The ones I have are about my browser, BBIM, WiFi, MMS, BIBS, BBFS, TCP/IP, MMS again, and WAP - also one called "provisioning".  Some of these items are marked with ticks, others have circles with a line through.  If I delete any of these they disappear, but come straight back again at the next reboot.

You only mention the attempt to delete service books...as the instructions state, if you have no CMIME entry, then you skip the SB deletion...but you do not skip the SB resend.

michaelcs wrote:

Believe me I have tried these steps half a dozen times exactly as instructed  - must have rebooted 10 times - but I never get to a screen which offers the option you are saying I need.  And that's perhaps bcause of the service book isue?

From what you have stated, I do not see that you actually resent the service books...which is a required part of the process in order for the process as a whole to be valid...skipping that invalidates the entire process.

michaelcs wrote:

I may have to give up.  Sadly the phone will be equally useless to anyone else, since it just won't accept  amended or indeed any email settings.

There remains, of course, the "last out" in the process...contacting your service provider. After all, only they can look at their systems to determine why their network is not properly communicating with your device.

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hi and thanks for your continuing patience!

I did follow your instructions several times to the letter and in sequence without other steps.  Only then did I try some alternatives. Have just done it again in your sequence, still nothing.

Just to tell you of other messages that sometimes flash up after rebooting: one of them is "Category Protection..." and another (seldom ) is "Enterprise Configuration"

What I didn't say overtly is: I can't get to a screen allowing me options about sending service books!.  Within your link saying how to do this was a further link explaining the process in detail for various OS versions.  The instructions for mine (v5.0.0.1036) are as follows:

"To resend service books to a BlackBerry® smartphone, complete the following steps:

For BlackBerry smartphones running on BlackBerry® Device Software 5.0 and earlier, please perform the following steps:

1. On the BlackBerry smartphone Home screen, click the Email Settings icon. If running BlackBerry Device Software 4.5 - 5.0, the Email Settings icon may be located in the Setupfolder.
  2. If prompted, type the username and password, and then click Log In.
  3. On the main screen, click Help.
  4. Click Send Service Books.
  5. Click OK in the confirmation window."

My problem is that whether I go to Setup  > Setup Wizard > Email Setup, or Setup > Email Settings, I always get the same thing I've described before: a message saying "Your device had a problem connecting to the server". My options here are only: Retry (which does nothing) or Cancel (which takes me back one step in the loop).I don't get any prompt (as at 2 above) for username /password, nor do I have (as at 3 above) any Help option, hence I never get to a screen (as at 4 above) allowing me to Send Service Books.

So yes, you are right, I haven't sent any service books - but can you please tell me if there's another way for me to achieve that?  For example, could I do it with Blackberry Desktop Software?

So frustrating - the phone is otherwise perfect!

Hall of Famer III

KB02830 documents three methods to send the Service Books...from what you state, you have only tried Method One...since that fails, you should try the other methods documented in the KB. You must complete the Sending of the Service Books in order to know if that is the actual cause of your issues.

However...

michaelcs wrote:

Just to tell you of other messages that sometimes flash up after rebooting: one of them is "Category Protection..." and another (seldom ) is "Enterprise Configuration"

This is worrisome...are you presently on BES? Has this device ever been on BES? If so, then you need to stop now and work with your BES admins and get all of that service functioning first, before you even attempt your BIS level services.

If you are not on BES, then please check this:

• Article ID: KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

If there is an IT Policy, it may well be the cause of your issues...but if you are not presently on BES, there is a process that could cleanse your BB of the IT Policy.

Or, if your BB was ever part of BES but was not properly removed from the BES server, then that server may be "reaching out" to try and re-activate your device, which could be causing problems.

Good luck and let us know!

New Contributor

Hi sdgardne, I think you have hit the nail on the head. On my usual BB 8520 I have full access to the BB server and hence internet, data and everything.  But with this one (my backup 8520) I  can't connect to anything: no email, no browser, no ability to change owner name or password.  As you say, it must be because of a historic IT policy that I can't clear. At some time in the past this phone must have been on a BES server because a) on power-on it sometimes flashes a screen message Enterprise...., other times "Content Protection enabled". And b) Options > Security Options > Information says: IT Policy Name: SFA BES CESG Complant Policy  Last Updated 11 Feb 2013" (a year ago).  Services *** no services ***.  Master Keys are encrypted. Secure GC Enabled.".

The IT Policy didn't disappear when I did a Security Wipe of all data, nor when I reloaded all the software. Having tried that much DIY, I can't get my service provider to take an interest beyond attempting to resend the service books (which had no effect) because it's a device-specific issue.  They say, chuck the phone away and buy a new one preferably from us.

I have no connection with any corporate, hence no BES admins to work with. 

You mention that there is a solution that "could" cleanse my BB - but also that the hand of some corporate BES server might be trying to grab me from the grave   Save me from the undead please!

Hall of Famer III

I can help you with the IT Policy...lacking access to the BES server, this (and only this) procedure will cleanse a BB of an IT Policy:

• Article ID: KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

If you do a backup/restore, do not do that wholesale...rather, backup/restore only those specific databases you require (e.g., calendar, contacts, messages, etc.) and specifically avoid databases having anything to do with IT Policy, Enterprise, etc. If you restore those, the IT Policy will be dutifully restored to the device, and you'll be right back where you are now.

As for a BES server trying to reach out...there is nothing I can offer there. Your best bet is to talk to your carrier and ensure that you do not have BES-level service enabled on your account from them. That should (note "should"...there are no guarantees) prevent some BES server from reaching out and reactivating your device.

Good luck!

New Contributor

My friend sdgarne you are magnificent. I did as you said and hey presto, IT Policy removed, BES  link broken, messages about Content Protection gone.  Phone connects to BB server and is finally my own.  I can hardly thank you enough.  My carrier should sack their people and join this forum.  Great result, after a couple of weeks of struggling. And at least if a BES server tries to reach out to me from the nether world, I have the garlic and the cross handy.

Hall of Famer III

Excellent! I am glad that worked for you. You are very welcome, cheers, and enjoy!