Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Call volume 8830

Here is the problem I've had since I bought it (Verizon/BB 8830 a few months ago). When I make or receive a call, after about 5-8 minutes, the volume on the earpiece/speaker drops to almost zero. I can tell the call is still connected, and the other party can hear me fine. Usually after a couple minutes, the volume goes back to normal. These are what I've tried:

• I try to increase volume, but the phone still shows the highest volume setting.
  • I can cancel the call and re-dial the person, and the volume is back to normal, but the issue rears its ugly head again after 5-8 minutes
  • I downloaded the newest firmware update from Verizon, but the problem was not corrected.
  • I did a "soft reset" where I removed the battery for 15 seconds, same result (not fixed)

Anyone have the same issue, and any other things to fix it?

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Call volume 8830

Same issue...the best I can do is to dial back the # if I need to hear at an appropriate level.  Did you ever get a solution on this matter?

-  Chris

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Call volume 8830

Hi tesimpson and welcome to the forums!

After listening to the Verizon users with this problem, they are all told that a software fix is on the way. This is now the party line for

all Verizon problems. One of the users here is employed by Verizon and there is no fix. Only the upgrade to 4.5, which as far as I can tell

has nothing in it for this problem.

I would check two things immediately, and temporarily drop the call.

1) go to Options Status  note the db signal and the file free and file total numbers.

On the same Status screen type test, there is no place to enter it, just type it. It will start a diagnostic test,

Select rf antenna only. It will generate a log.

2) go to Connections -services status make sure you are available to voice services, connection Mobile network.check the Mobile network and provider.

Back up to mobile network options and hit menu then diagnostic test. The test will save a log in both cases.

You will then have some hard facts to present to Verizon immediate to the problem occurrence.

If your dbm level is low under -70 you are in a dead spot, or if it stays at -70dbm constantly, it's the antenna/phone.

If your memory is low, that could cause the situation. Search the boards there are many resolutions.

Anything else that fails the test should be brought to the carrier with the logs.

These random occuances are the hardest to pinpoint and the easiest to dismiss. That is why I suggest the above.

If you need more info please ask!  If not please resolve the thread using the options by the Kudos’ star,

Just place the check in the Post that answered your question, Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter