Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Caller ID doesn't work?

Hi everyone, first post here!

We have a user that was just issued with a new Blackberry Bold, and everything is working fine except for Caller ID. The issue is that when we create a test contact, the caller ID will work, but for some numbers it wont...we've gone through the options and caller ID is activated on the carrier's end, and we've got Content Encryption turned off, still with no avail Smiley Sad

I've searched but couldn't find anything regarding this issue, is there anyone that can help out?

Cheers!

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Caller ID doesn't work?

Smart Dialing:

1. Make sure you set your own country code at Phone Dialer Screen > Options > Smart dialing.

Set your country code in this format: "+xx" where xx = your country code. Some countries have two or three digit Country Codes. Do not place the '+' in your contact's entry.

• In the US, set this Country Code as "+1", and place your loca area code in the proper box (this normally the default setting in a new BB).

2. At the same location, change the National Number Length to the number of digits for your country (since some countries will have less than 10 as set as the default in the BB). Find out the total digits, minus the country code. Do not place the '+' in your contact's entry.

• For example, some countries have a total number to 8 (plus 3 for country code). You would enter "8".

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Hi JSanders,

Thanks very much for the quick response, I will follow your instructions and see how I go. I will report back how this works.

With thanks,

- f_p

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same problem. VERY annoying. I have over 1000 numbers in my address book, all in international GSM format ("+33XXXXXXXXX" 33 for France and 9 national numbers). I travel a lot and I HAVE to use the country code, or else I run into trouble when I am not in my home country. This has worked without a glitch on any Nokia or Sony phone I have owned for over 15 years. Yet my brand new BlackBerry 9000 Bold only recognizes the caller ID when it chooses to. Sometimes it works and it finds the right name during an incoming call, most of the time it does not and it only shows the incoming number.

However, the name always shows up correctly in the call history after the call has ended, even if it did not show up during the incoming call ring ! How am I to know by heart thousands of numbers ?! And why does it sometimes show up and sometimes not, even when the same person is calling in from the same line at a few minutes interval ?

I expect more from a phone in this price range, the minimum being to be able to use it as a phone worthy of the name !!! I'm so fed up I'm seriously considering tading this Bold c**p for a Nokia E71. This kind of basic functionality not working is just intolerable !

Message Edited by olvr76 on 11-13-2008 07:50 PM
Message Edited by olvr76 on 11-13-2008 07:53 PM
New Contributor

[ Edited ]
PS. This problem has been present in all the 3 firmware versions I have installed one after the other, including the latest v4.6.0.167 (base v4.0.0.157)
Message Edited by olvr76 on 11-13-2008 07:45 PM
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

After a few extra tests on my Blackberry 9000 Bold, it turns out the "Caller ID does not show" problem is not random at all. Here is the logic behind what seemed to be random behavior :

The caller ID name always shows correctly if the BB Bold is NOT locked. If the BB is locked by password (content protection activated) while it receives a call, then only the number is shown upon an incoming call, but not the name.

The only workaround I have found so far was to turn the content protection and password off : obviously, this is a major security risk. The caller ID always shows up correctly now, even if the phone is locked with simple keyboard lock (* + green key to unlock, but no password nor content protection).

So this is clearly a firmware bug that RIM would better set themselves in motion to solve quickly, as I don't know may professionals who will put up with it for an extended period of time.

Message Edited by olvr76 on 11-15-2008 05:46 PM
Visitor

I have the same caller ID problem with my Bold. I keep about 2000 contacts all in the order they should be in my outlook, synch is not a problem but seeing sometimes the calls in numbers sometimes with names is annoying. I was told by the technical service that once the latest version is installed there will be no problem. However I see that even with the latest version the CALLER ID PROBLEM is still there. I think BB must solve this BUG asap. Otherwise turning off content protection and the phone lock to overcome the Caller ID problem is not an alternative solution at all as it is a MAJOR RISK problem with these toys. 

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have found there is an option within the Content Protection security options to exclude the AdressBook from the Content Protection :

Options/Security Options/General/Content Protection -> Set "Include Contacts" on "NO"

This seems to solve the problem for me. Now I can both have a password + content protection and also have a Caller ID that works.

However, this is documented nowhere and nobody at BB custumer support knew about this : I had to figure it out on my own. HOW VERY DISAPPOINTING !

Message Edited by olvr76 on 11-30-2008 05:27 AM

Hi all,

Believe I can solve this, at least on the 8900.

Go to ... Main Menu/Options/Security Options/General Settings ... If content protection is enabled here then make sure that the option to include contacts (option is on same screen) is set as No rather than Yes. This will allow content protection and name display during an incoming call.

The reason that a callers name fails to display is because of the content protection being enabled I believe but there's no need to turn it off fully as described above. When the phone is not locked a callers name will display regardless of the content protection and contact settings because the security feature is not being applied when unlocked.

Hope this helps!

You should get a job working for Blackberry, my call ID problem is solved

Thanks very much

Dean