Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Caller ID for incoming calls NOT displaying name from contacts (only displays phone #)

Whenever I receive an incoming call, the caller ID only shows the phone #, even when I have that number matched to a contact.  Since I don't have many phone #'s memorized, I have no clue that it is someone I know.  However, the contact name is displayed in my call log, just not on the initial incoming call display.  How do I get the caller ID to recognize and display the appropriate contact name with the phone #? Any help would be greatly appreciated!  (I have the 8520 blackberry)

Thanks, Lauren 

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Caller ID for incoming calls NOT displaying name from contacts (only displays phone #)

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

There could be any one of three solutions... Try these:

1. Make sure you set your own country code at Phone Dialer Screen > Options > Smart dialing.
Set your country code in this format: "+xx" where xx = your country code. Some countries have two or three digit Country Codes. Do not place the '+' in your contact's entry.
* In the US, set this Country Code as "+1", and place your loca area code in the proper box (this normally the default setting in a new BB).

2. At the same location, change the National Number Length to the number of digits for your country (since some countries will have less than 10 as set as the default in the BB). Find out the total digits, minus the country code. Do not place the '+' in your contact's entry.
* For example, some countries have a total number to 8 (plus 3 for country code). You would enter "8".

3. You may have "Content Protection" set on your Address Book.
Look at Options > Security > General Settings. Scroll down to Content Protection > Include Address Book = NO.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Re: Caller ID for incoming calls NOT displaying name from contacts (only displays phone #)

Thanks so much!  The problem was the security settings.  I switched the content protection for "contacts included" to "no" and now my contact info shows up on the incoming call display!  Thanks again for your help!
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You are very welcome!
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Blackberry 8520
My Carrier: Zain

Thanks for the information provided.

I have a BB 8520 and I tried all that you have mentioned to get the phone to recognize my contacts, but unfortunately, the problem is still not resolved.

Any other suggestions?

My Device: storm 59530
My Carrier: verizon

Hi and thanks for the info on the blog,   was chevkin my device because i have same problem, and zi couldn't find the optionfor content protection, I tried options on adress book, and couldn;t find it, any sugestions where else or maybe I am looking on the wrong option menu,

thank you

New Contributor
My Device: Tour
My Carrier: verizon wireless

I have a Blackberry tour.  I'm having problems seeing my caller id displayed for my incoming calls.  Can someone help me..

LW

New Contributor
My Device: Tour
My Carrier: verizon wireless

Where is my 'Content Suppression" located?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

home screen >> options >> security options >> encryption

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

hi there.

I have the blackberry pearl 8100?
I'm living in Australia.
when a number is saved in my phone as 0414293920 under peter and he calls,peter's name comes up,but when he sends a sms, it doesnt come up with his name,it comes up as +61414293920 and therefor i dont know who sent the sms.
and visversa, if i save the number in the phone as +61414293920 and he calls it come up with the number not his name, but if he sends a sms,then it will come up with his name.

ANY IDEAS PEOPLE???

I have tried all that you have suggested with content protection and that doesnt make any different!!

HELP  HELP   HELP...

thanks