Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Camera Flash ON- Won't turn off

I took kids out to the beach yesterday and had my phone in my holster and on my belt and totally forgot. It got a little wet and I took it off and put it aside. It stayed ON and I even received a call from it. When I hung up the phone after the call, the Camera Flash turned on and I am unable to turn it off. It is draining the battery.

The phone turns on completely fine, I can check my email, send and receive emails, phone calls and can text but the camera flash light remains ON. I have tried everything and have even turned the flash OFF but it is not working.

Has anyone else seen anything similar? I was reading up on posts and someone had a similar issue with BB Pearl and reinstalled the OS and it seemed to fix the issue.

Please advise.

Paul

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Camera Flash ON- Won't turn off

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

First--I would make sure your device is COMPLETELY dry, or you'll continue to have problems.

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Got_Your_BlackBerry_Wet%3F

Then, after a few days of drying, if the flash remains on, you should consider reloading the OS a potential fix. If there is salt deposits on the wiring causing the flash issue, an OS upgrade/reload will not fix that.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: vodafone

and how does one reload the os?

fnag wrote:

and how does one reload the os?

I'd be glad to answer that... but first, can you state what the issue is your having?

Sometimes an OS reload is the last thing needed.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: vodafone

sure, the problem started yesterday- the touch pad wasnt working. got it to work after a while but then this morning the flash came on and it wont go off no matter what i do which means that the battery gets drained really quickly. I've checked camera and video settings- both have flash set to off. light comes straight back on when i put the battery back in. Dont think the phone has had moisture exposure- strip on battery is still white... thanks

fnag wrote:

Dont think the phone has had moisture exposure- strip on battery is still white... thanks

The strip on the battery means nothing.

There is a square white 1/4" sticker inside the device, normally if you remove the battery you will see it. That is the actual device Liquid Damage Indicator... and STILL, high humidity (not full moisture or liquid) can cause the issues you're describing. Keeping the device powered on, loading a new OS, removing and inserting the battery, can possibly only further damage the device.

Moisture can come from laying a bathroom counter during a hot steamy bath or shower, in a gym locker, in a pair pants or shirt pocket while your sweaty during a run or workout, etc.

IF there is a remote possibility of anything like that, remove the battery, and place the device and the battery in a bag of dry white rice for 3-4 days.

Knowledge Base Updates