Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Camera does not work

I've done a search and seen people with similar problems, but never seen a solution.  I inherited a Curve 8300 from a coworker and the camera worked.  I used my Pearl Desktop Manager 4.2 to do a device switch.  The camera then had this weird colorization when looking through the screen, and when taking pictures, the picture was unreadible by the camera or a computer, with a little "x" in the upper left corner.  I upgraded to the latest desktop manager 4.5, and then did a device switch. The Camera now comes up with a warning "Could not start the camera.  Close other applications and try opening the camera again."  I've closed all applications, I've wiped my system.  My IT guys have installed a new operating system, downloaded Desktop manager 4.3.  They say they can't figure it out and it's a hardware problem.  Has anyone actually fixed this?  Any help would be appreciated.

File Free: 23829662 bytes

File Total: 58589184 bytrs

Thanks

Larry

New Contributor

Re: Camera does not work

Unfortunately, I've had a similar problem and all of my forum searches, memory cleaning, resets, upgrades, downgrades, and blackberry tech support have led me to believe it is actually hardware issue. I still have hope, though. I will certainly update the forum if I find anything else out...
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  I'm beginning to think that somehow the software upgrade causes a hardware failure.  Certainly a problem.

well my camera works, but it wont zoom. i try changing the size and using the volume buttons and nothing. any ideas?
New Contributor

Larry, Can't explain how it happened, my camera is working all of a sudden. Don't know exactly when it started but the only change I had made to my bberry since my first reply to you was I had deleted service books for my work email account and pulled the battery/restart a bunch of times. Completely un-related to camera functionality, but I would keep your fingers crossed and keep resetting your phone.

New Contributor

oh, I also pulled and formatted my memory card 2 or 3 times. Forgot to mention that...could be helpful.