Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Apollo
My Carrier: Indosat

Can Blackberry Device Freeze/Lock Media Card?

Dear Blackberry Forum,

I posses Curve 9360 Apollo for 4 months. The first time I use it, I don't experience anything regarding the its features,
hardware, and software. The package I bought didn't include micro SD as media card. So I decided to use 4GB of my old micro SD (Adata Production) that was still functioning.

As It wasn't new media card, the capacity spent more than half of useable capacity, and it still worked. until it reached the rest of 500MB capacity the memory working is getting slow. The my Blackberry keep on hanging & freezing. The problem is, when I try to remove it from my device and do some maintenance tasks such as deleting some unimportant files, the files are just temporarily deleted. But when I removed media from computer and try to re-plug it, the deleted files are back into the media card.

I tried to format the media card through computer, but it was not successful. I kept on doing so, but the files were back into the media card again after being removed from computer and re-plug on it. I did some searching to find information and I got suggestion that I should do format using my device (on my device, go to SETTING -> DEVICE -> STORAGE -> FORMAT). I did it but not successful. And I thought that the media card was already broken (even if it is still detected in most computer & other device and be a "read-only" micro SD because I couldn't make any modification to it).

At that time, I almost assumed there is lifetime period of media card since the first time the card was design in the factory (maybe). That's because I utilized the used media card, the old one. The lifetime period could be from time usage, capacity usage, or frequency of deleting & storing files in media card. Well, fine! I accepted my non-proved assumption.

Then I decided to buy the new 8GB micro SD (Sandisk Production). My Blackberry was working again, the data transfer was fast. And I was slightly happy with that. But this condition doesn't last long. I get another similar problem with my second media card. One night I use the memory card in massive usage. I recorded a choir performance in one church for more than 70 minutes HD video recording, of course, using my Apollo. It struck to be hanging. and my second media card was completely undetected to my device. once I tried to use it in other devices, it was detected, but again and again it is such a "read only" mode, nothing to modified, and can't be formatted.

My next question, Is it problematic for us using media in massive way? If so, what is the purpose of factory creating BIG size capacity, while the newer technology we use, the bigger capacity size we experience.

Or, does it have any relation with the technological differences between micro SD and micro SDHC (which I don't have any information about it)?

My next question is should I utilize certain compatible type of micro SD, for example recommended brand or type like micro SD class 10 or something?

another question, does it have relation to device that applies its "fuse" system one which enables to stop and cut down the process of memory card usage? one It reached maximum transfer usage, it locked the storage by itself, or may be the fuse system applies in media card? If this case happens, how many thousand media card should I buy again and again to comfortably use the function of smartphone?

Or was my device infected by any virus?

so many questions appear in my mind that I couldn't elaborate more towards this posting. What I need is the assistance from any experienced people here to solve my problem.

Thank you for reading this thread.

NB:     

- My BB OS version is already updated to V.7.1.0.523 platform 9.6.0.80

- The first media card is detected (read only) in my current BB, other device & computer.

- The second media card can't be detected in my current BB but can be (read only) to other device & computer.

- I frequently do maintenance to my BB every 3 days to make sure its working optimization (such as deleting unimportant chats, messages, emails, notifications, browsing history, clearing event log, Memory Cleaning, Host Routing Table, Diagnostic Test, and Hard Restart).

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Can Blackberry Device Freeze/Lock Media Card?

There are no known viruses for BlackBerry, so it's not that.

SanDisk is a known good brand of media card card, that should be satisfactory.

I do have a feeling that a 70 min HD recording could certainly affect the performance of the device and possibly cause a hangup or even such a large memory use on the card could fail. It shouldn't , but it could.

I'd suggest you copy off all other files from your 8gb card, reformat it and keep using it.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Apollo
My Carrier: Indosat

Re: Can Blackberry Device Freeze/Lock Media Card?

Although the process of reformating was successful, but it is just like "fake" formated. After reformating done and safely remove from computer, those files are back if I open (and plug) the formated media to computer. even with the same computer. I strongly assume that my media card is infected by virus. Well, I purchase full license of Norton Internet Security and regularly do updates toward virus definition. But when I do virus scanning to the card, the virus was just "fake" deleted. the same as above case. confusing me, indeed. Any recomended action?

Sorry for mis-information, my first media card is Adata, and the second one is Vgen, not Sandisk.

Thank you for reply.