Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Can I really turn this thing off?

I'm perplexed.  I can power my 8900 off by holding down the Power button.  Or I can go into the menu and choose Turn Power Off and it says, "Turning Handheld Off, Press Any Key to Abort."  From what I understand, that is truly powering the phone off, in contrast to just locking it.

But all I have to do is tap the Power button (i.e., the red "hangup" button) and the phone comes right back on again.  I get the T Mobile logo for just a second or two, then I go straight to my home page.  So it doesn't appear that it's really off.  When I first got the phone and turned it on, it took 30 seconds or so to boot up completely.  It seems like it should do that now, too. 

If I turn the phone off, I want it to be OFF.  I don't want it coming back on if one of the largest buttons is lightly tapped.  I want it to stay off until I press and hold that button.  If I turn it "off", and put it in my pocket, it could come back on, and ring when I don't want it to.  So I want to be sure that the phone is really off and will stay that way.

Is this possible?  Am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Can I really turn this thing off?

There no other options beside that. This is BlackBerry default. When you press RED button you should get two options. If you choose full power off then you're phone goes to complete off mode. Now if you put you phone in holster then there is no option of turning power on automatically.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

OK thanks.  I guess the upshot is that you need to turn it off and then put it in the holster.  Then it stays off.
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Turning the device off will keep it off inside or outside the holster. If it's out of the holster the slightest of press might turn it back on.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Contributor

Something involving this problem happened to my friend. It was FCAT time, and he has this phone. Well he turned it off, and it turned back on in his pocket, and his girlfriend called him. It went off in class causing his test to be invalidated. 
Contributor

im very new to blackberry but this seemd to be a good thread to put it on.  I have a very similar problem with they keylock on my 8900, its so easy to push off so this is the first phone ever iv had to pass word.

Also, what is this holster all about? is this the case that comes with it, ive noticed holster alot when in my ring tone options etc? does it reckonise its in there or something?

New Contributor

Jay, the answer to both questions is the same source:  The holster.  It has a magnet in it, so yes, the phone knows when it's in the holster.  That's why the settings list the holster.  This can actually be an annoyance, because the holster is sometimes needed for protection.  If I'm carrying the phone, I don't want to risk dropping it.  But the holster, on default settings, will keep the phone from making any sound.

(I know, by the way, from personal experience that holsters for other phones, like the Dash, might have magnets, but the magnets aren't in the right place and they won't behave like a real Blackberry holster.  So you have to pony up an extra $30-$50 for a couple ounces of leather and a little magnet, if you want something more than the useless little sleeve they give you.)

You can create your own sound profiles, fortunately, and you can set the phone to ring even though it's in the holster, if you want it to.

Also, if you turn it off, and put it in the holster, it does not appear that it will come back on, no matter what you do.  At least from my informal testing.

Even so, this "easy-on" feature irks me.  Every other device I've ever owned has a power switch that takes an act of volition to turn it on. WIthout a holster or a password, the only way to make sure this phone stays off is to lay it on a flat surface and stay away from it.

New Contributor

If you worried about accidental turning on while in the holster or packet, you can always lock the phone by pressing the "lock icon" at the top of the phone. Meaning, not the on the face of the device, rather the top slim side. Not shure how to put it in words, but look at your manual. Also there is stand by button on the same side of the device.

Regards, 

mikus

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for your replys

yes i know the lock icon well, its very very easy to knock off i have discovered, thats why i have had to password my phone.  I must admit as much as i love this phone, i definatly prefer the lock and unlock method on other phones, like the nokia and sony erricson.

New Contributor

am wondering if anyone has had this same issue with the BOLD.

mine is relatively new and has various issues powering up (and off).