Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Can I set up my Bold so that I can access emails only when connected to Wi-Fi?

I am not on a Blackberry plan, I use the phone through a prepaid sim (it's through Optus in Australia).

I have successfully set up Wi-Fi and accessed it from a few different locations (home, work etc). I would like to set up email so that it only comes through when I'm connected to Wi-Fi. I'm not sure if I have access to data services ordinarily through my pre-paid sim, so I want to be sure that I am not using my pre-paid credit if I set up the email function and be able to switch the email function on and off when I like (if you can do that).

Can it be done? If so, would you mind posting instructions. I'm a BB noob and have not used email through BB before.

Thank you for your help.

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: Can I set up my Bold so that I can access emails only when connected to Wi-Fi?

For make a mail setup you need any blackberry data plan, if you don't have data p[lan you can't setup your mail in the device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
New Contributor

Re: Can I set up my Bold so that I can access emails only when connected to Wi-Fi?

Thanks for your reply. I definitely don't have a blackberry data plan, but I may have a general data plan (I did on my post-paid plan, I'm assuming it stayed with me to my transfer to pre-paid).

Does it need to be a specific blackberry data plan?

Forums Veteran III

Call your carrier and ask about prices, but with the most basic you can access to mail, messenger, etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Contributor

Great, thanks will do. Otherwise I'm really happy with the Wi-Fi in the Bold so will just keep accessing email through the browser (gmail).

New Contributor

I set up my email (Gmail) on the Blackberry Bold. Now I can completley turn off the radio from my provider (Rogers in Canada) and use the email strictly on WiFi. I don't think this is incurring any expense or logging anything on my data plan (I hope).
Forums Veteran III

Yes, but you set up your mail because you have data plan, this is the point.
New Contributor

Got it! I am right in assuming that WiFi access does not use any of the data plan?
Forums Veteran III

Yes if you have turn off the mobile network.