Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell Aliant
Accepted Solution

Can I use "Maps" with WiFi anywhere (in Europe) without incurring data charges?

Hertz offers a mobile WiFi with a rental vehicle, and I'm wondering whether I can use "Maps" through that system?  Would I have to ensure network connections are off?  Appreciate any expertise on this one.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Can I use "Maps" with WiFi anywhere (in Europe) without incurring data charges?

You will experience no cost as long as you're on the wifi connection at all times. When I was in europe, my "data while roaming" option was set to off. I wouldn't use any data unless I was connected to a wifi hotspot somewhere, which are quite common in Europe.

To set the data services off while roaming, open up your settings. Go to Network Connections > Mobile Network. You can toggle your mobile network to off if you don't want to use your phone while in Europe or leave it on up to you but for data, use the drop down option and set it to Off. This way it won't use data over any mobile network and so only when using WiFi.
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell Aliant

Re: Can I use "Maps" with WiFi anywhere (in Europe) without incurring data charges?

Thanks very much; I appreciate the advice.