Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: MTN

Can U track a stolen BlackBerry Torch?

Recently about a week ago my husbands BlackBerry Torch from his desk at work. I would like to confirm the myth that BlackBerry's torch can be traced? And if not, will how do we go about to get his old pin back ect?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Can U track a stolen BlackBerry Torch?

[ Edited ]

If he had a GPS-based tracking app installed, such as BlackBerry Protect, it can be traced. If he didn't, it can't be traced.
He won't get his old PIN back because each BlackBerry has its own unique PIN. If he gets a new BlackBerry, once he logs in with his BlackBerry ID on it, all BB-based apps (BBM, Protect, etc.) Should update it automatically.

Make sure to report the phone stolen ASAP so his carrier can cancel his old PIN and avoid anyone else racking up charges on it.

I hope I've been helpful to you. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: MTN

Wont you be able to track someone by its BB PIN? Since someone will use it if stolen?

Elite II

[ Edited ]

(Sorry, duplicate post.......see my response below.)  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Elite II

Maryna-Venter30 wrote:

Wont you be able to track someone by its BB PIN? Since someone will use it if stolen?

Can your carrier track a phone by using the PIN and triangulating it to their cell towers in order to find the phone?  Yes.  Will any carrier worldwide take the time to do that for you?  No.  Will the police take the time to help you with it?  No.  When it comes to recovering a lost/stolen phone, it lies entirely upon the user.

As I suggested, call your carrier ASAP and have the PIN blacklisted.  At the very least, nobody else will be able to rack up charges on it.  The simple truth is this:  If your husband did not have a GPS-based app installed, the phone will not be recovered.  It's a tough pill to swallow, but he'll just have to move on to another phone (and make sure to install BlackBerry Protect on it).

I hope I've been helpful.  Smiley Happy

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

My blackberry Torch 9800 acts funny, the curser scrolls on its own, jumping all over the screen, why?
Elite II

@kalaways, in the future it's best to start your own thread.  That way, your issue will get more exposure and therefore will stand a better chance of getting resolved.

If your 9800's cursor is acting up, remove your battery while your phone is powered on then replace it.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy