Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: blackberry
My Carrier: optus

Can an older version of blackberry messenger still talk to a person with a newer version

Jus say me and my girlfriend both have blackberrys her phone has an older version of blackberry messenger then mine and she doesnt wana update i updated mine and her phone is currently getting repaired so im wondering will she still be able to contact me normally through blackberry messenger even tho i have a newer version?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: various
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Can an older version of blackberry messenger still talk to a person with a newer version

Yes, direct messages will work just fine. Why would she not want to update her BBM?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the Star on the left of their post.

Re: Can an older version of blackberry messenger still talk to a person with a newer version

haha i dunno why she wouldnt wana update it. And the update message hasnt come up on her phone like it did mine so i think shes not guna worry bout trying to find it on the net.

So we will deffinetly still be able to talk just like you and me are on blackberry messenger no matter what version old or new we are using?

just probs she wont be able to see my profile picture thing?

is this right?

and i mean like when she gets her phone back will she still be able to message me normally through blackberry messenger. Just makin sure haha

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

andrew44 wrote:

so i think shes not guna worry bout trying to find it on the net.

Pretty simple, she uses her BlackBerry browser to go www.blackberry.com/blackberrymessenger and upgrade.

Nothing to search for.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 7290
My Carrier: Claro

I have a blackberry 7290 wich had the BBM installed and ik worked fine. Trying to upload a new laguage for my phone I updated the version, but my BMM  dissapeared. Is there a way I can get my BBM back, I went to the mobile BB site, but is not letting download. I just need to get a version compatible with my OS  v4.1.0.377 platform 1.8.0.154 If you could give a solution would be awesome. Thanks in  advance.

Have you tried downloading it from www.blackberry.com/bbm

using your BlackBerry browser.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Yes, I have, but is telling me that, my device is not supported. I have an old device Blackberry 7290. Do you think is possible to get a MMB version fo this handset?

Yes, I read the device model.

I don't know what MMB is.

Connect your 7290 to the desktop PC and run the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

If you you have your 7290 operating system installed on your PC, you can then click on the APPLICATIONS and then reload the BBMessenber application.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I´m sorry, I meant BBM, and thanks for your help, I´ll try that.