Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: 02

Can i access backed up data from Blackberry Protect with the orignal phone

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been answered or in the wrong section but my daughter has a Blackberry Curve 9320 which i set to back up to Blackberry Protect and she was attacked yesterday by someone we think she knows but she will not talk to us or the police and so i have tried to locate her phone (as it 'went missing') and of course the GPS will not respond so i suspect it's been turned off or indoors however i have access to the Blackberry protect account and there is a backup of her messages from that time that i need to read (i do not snoop on her private life but this is most definitly an exception) but obviously i do not have the original phone to restore these to. Is there any way of reading them with out it ?

If it helps i do have a Blackberry Torch myself but this is linked to a corporate BES server.

Any help would be great.

Many Thanks

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can i access backed up data from Blackberry Protect with the orignal phone

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First off, I am very sorry to read that this happened...sometimes our world is just such a horrible place.

If her device did not have a device lock password, I would recommend that you immediately change any and all credentials for any and all accounts that may have been linked to that BB.

For accessing the BB Protect backup data, you can indeed use that on any other BB, but to do so you will have to actually associate that BB with her BB ID, which means abandoning whatever configurations already exist on the BB you do this with. Which means conducting a WIPE on the device in order to associate it to a different BB ID than it's already associated with. Given what is required, I'd actually recommend not doing so with your BES device unless you involve your BES admins and have them remove your BB from BES...then you could safely WIPE your BB and associate it to her BB ID (assuming she will provide you with those credentials).

If you proceed, be very careful...done wrongly, you can actually wipe out the backups that are stored on the BB Protect server. Review this first:

• KB31489 BlackBerry Protect for BlackBerry smartphones does not display any backup files to restore

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................