Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: Giff Gaff

Can i add sms language?

Hi, i want to buy a blackberry bold 9780 or above from the UK and i was just wondering if i can add other languages to the sms function so i can write an sms in another language for example mandarin (chinese)?  I would be using this phone abroad.  Or would it be better just to get it from abroad?  If i get it from abroad, could i still go on blackberry uk website to download apps or would they not be compatible with abroad versions?

Cheers

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Can i add sms language?

Hello killuminati

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Community Forums

It depends where you are going to use that device ,If you are going to use it on UK then I prefer buy it from UK itself ,Input language  ( like chinese ) can be added to your BlackBerry devices it all depends on OS packs.But if you get it from abroad then the device must be Unlocked ,otherwise your UK carrier will not be able to add BIS on that device.

So I prefer you should buy the device from the same country where you are going to use it .

Prince

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

Thanks for replying

Well, i would be using the phone in the uk but also in china as i travel up and down.

I want to have text input language as both english and chinese.  If i buy the phone from the uk and can add chinese as an additional sms language, that is fine, however in china it would come preinstalled with both english and chinese.

Apps seem to be the same across the world - whether i visit the china blackberry website or uk or usa website, when downloading apps it always takes me to the same apps world, so i think no matter where i buy the phone from, the apps will all be compatible with the phone.

The phone i'm looking at buying is 9780 or 9790 - in china they have it as 9788 but i'm unsure whether it is their version of 9780 or 9790 or something different altogether - any ideas?

Cheers

Elite II

Hi killuminati

If are going to use that device on UK then I prefer to buy it from UK itself . And yes as you mentioned BlackBerry App World is same throughout the world if App World is supported on that particular country.

If you choice is betwwen 9780 or 9790 , I prefer you should buy the device that supports the most recent OS like 7.1 . in that situation it will be 9790 which supports OS 7.1 , Regarding 9788 please Google a bit it will allow you to know about that particular device.The device 9788 is made specially for china . Bold 9790 has much internal memory then 9788. Regarding Bold 9790 please look at this review  BlackBerry Bold 9790 Review  ,

Prince

New Contributor

Thanks again for the reply.

I read up on 9788 and have decided i will go for 9790 for the reasons you have stated.  9790 has 8gb internal memory, do you know why some are advertised as 256mb?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/blackberry-bold-9790-256-mb-16395112-pdt.html

Also, is the 9790 touchscreen?  If so, is it still 100% operatable with the keyboard alone as i don't want to be using touchscreen, it's not really my thing.

Cheers.

Highlighted
Elite II

Hi killuminati

I can't say genuinty of that site you had provided  ,Please refer to this official site BlackBerry® Bold™ 9790 and go through the Features and Specification and see it for yourself it will clear everything . Yes it has touchscreen as well as  QWERTY keyboard .

So Good Luck for your new BlackBerry® Bold 9790. 

Prince