Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: Tesco mobile

Can i use bbm on a blackberry i bought off eBay

I bought a blackberry curve 9320 off eBay today and i am wondering if i can use bbm on it without a blackberry contract with my provider tesco mobile Thank you mikey_rumbles
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can i use bbm on a blackberry i bought off eBay

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Under no circumstances can a pre-BB10 device function for BBM without an adequate contract with a service provider. BBM, along with email and several others, is a proprietary service, requiring subscription to an adequate data plan from a carrier. Even if you only use these services via WiFi, a data plan is still required since these are services, using resources (e.g., servers) hosted by the carriers and BlackBerry.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Developer
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900
My Carrier: ATT

OS 7.1 and downward reqiure Blackberry DATA plan to use BBM

OS 10 do not reqiure these Blackberry Data Plans 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Teaboy1748 wrote:

OS 7.1 and downward reqiure Blackberry DATA plan to use BBM

OS 10 do not reqiure these Blackberry Data Plans 

Thank you...that's exacly why I said "Under no circumstances can a pre-BB10 device..."

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900
My Carrier: ATT

Becareful with buying phone off eBay, check for water damage, check the imei/ESN if its stolen blacklisted, and make sure the phone is fully functional.