Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: Optus
Accepted Solution

Can't Connect to Hosted Exchange for Contacts/Calendar with Optus

I have just changed from Vodafone to Optus which now looks like a bad move.

I have a hosted exchange account and additional blackberry account with myhosting.com.  I was able to have my mail, calendar and contacts all synching between my Notebook, iPad and Blackberry.

Since changing to Optus I can only synch emails.  They say I need BES which will cost me an extra $49/month.  I have also occasionally seen the Exchange Activation via the Device settings on my Torch but that has now disappeared.  I was using it to try and activate directly with MyHosting's blackberry server but that kept failing.  I suspect Optus may be blocking that authentication in some way.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: Can't Connect to Hosted Exchange for Contacts/Calendar with Optus

To make use of myhosting.com's full Blackberry Enterprise Service to sync your email, calendar and contacts with your hosted exchange account you will need a full Blackberry BES plan as they have said. 

With the basic Blackberry BIS plan (which it sounds like you currently have) you will only be able to sync your email via your carriers BIS portal.

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply but presumably Vodafone DO offer the BES service rather than the inferior BIS, as I was able to sync everything with Vodafone.

I am now in a position of having to pay an extra $49/mth to get back to the same blackberry service as I had before, or pay outrageous cancellation charges to Optus and go back to Vodafone and put up with the inferior coverage.

My only other alternative is to use the Blackberry desktop to sync my Torch - also a retrograde step.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Vodafone do offer a BES service, in the UK at least it is again more expensive than the standard BIS plan (from memory an extra £25 a month on a consumer plan as opposed to £5 extra for the BIS plan)

New Contributor

From what I can see, the standard Vodafone offering is BIS and I definitely didn't pay any extra for a BES, yet I was still able to connect to the MyHosting BES and synch everything.

So, theoretically I should be able to do the same with Optus.  The problem seems to be that I have to go via the Optus BIS instead of being able to connect direct to the MyHosting BES.

New Contributor

Unfortunately it is not as simple as that.  I already backed up the Bold then recovered to the Torch.

The problem seems to be with Optus interfering with me connecting to my Hosted Exchange with MyHosting.com.  When I was able to access the facility to connect to the Exchange Server on the Torch the connection was failing.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

You do have an enteprise data plan Kevin, correct?

Try resetting the activation password. Let me know if that fixed the problem.

New Contributor

Optus are happy to change my plan to add BES but want to charge an extra $49/mth for the priveledge!  I had full synchronisation with Vodafone with my Bold but looking at their web site now it seems to also be BIS not BES, so I am not sure why it worked then if it is not supposed to work without BES.

MyHosting.com definitely have BES but I need to get past Optus first.  Maybe Vodafone made that process easier.

I think I need to talk to Vodafone about it while I am still within the 10 day cooling-off period with Optus.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Yeap, I think we found the problem. You need a Enteprise Data Plan. Let us know how it goes Kevin.

New Contributor

The solution seems to be DO NOT sign up with Optus!

Optus will provide the BES if I part with an extra $49/mth whereas Vodafone will do it for no additional charge. 

In addition, Optus are refusing to honour the 10 day cooling off period because I opened the box and took the phone out to make sure everything works. 

I have now lodged a complaint with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.

Interesting to also see how many complaints there are on Optus's Facebook page, despite the rather ironic situation where you have to "Like" them to write a complaint!