Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Can't Customize Multiple Contacts With Different Ringtones

I am copying this from a different Blackberry Forum sight I posted at.  I can't get different ringtones for different contacts, I already got the phone calls but I want the text messages different just like I have the calls customized.

Ok, call me stupid but I think I am having the exact same problem as everyone else. I see absolutely no point in having the same ringtone for ALL text messages(or a max of 2 if you make a different profile/exception)... On the last 4 phones I have had I was able to use this function. Now days a lot of the consumers text more than they call other people (especially if they work alot). I can customize the ringtone by changing the profile(ex. Custom Tones) and making an exception(Custom Tones), but I can only do this for one person(Trevor). Yes, I realize I can add more than one person to that exception(Trevor, Mike, etc.) and still have the same ringtone(on that Custom Tones exception), but that does me no good. I don't want to have to group my friends together to the same ringtones. That makes NO Sense in the updated cellular world!

There is no way to make 20 different profiles and 20 different exceptions so that you can get 20 different ringtones for 20 people (yes all different TEXT Messages, I have all of the regular Calls customized). This is the question I would like answered by a Moderator if possible. You can do this on almost every other phone in the last couple years.

I have found out that I can make a separate EXCEPTION, and use the ACTIVE PROFILE (so it gets me the different ringtone as before, Custom Tones, but there is no way to adjust that specific person's ringtone, ***meaning other than the Custom Tones Profile***, since the Custom Phone Tune is the only thing you can change on that menu and it's phone calls only). If the phone had a Custom Text Message option under this it would work great, but it doesn't!

The only way I can see making a different text message ringtone is by setting one as MMS ringtone, one as SMS ringtone, etc. I want these all combined for EACH PERSON, like EVERY OTHER PHONE out there!

I am not dumb when it comes to technology, but this is really bugging me.

Solutions: 6,361
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Can't Customize Multiple Contacts With Different Ringtones

You are right, there is not an easy way to customize SMS, etc. for individual contacts.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

Thanks, but this puts me back to where I was before, only able to customize a ringtone for the PROFILE that I am using.  How can you do this so that all of your ringtones are customized together, without always changing the profile.  Does that make sense?

I know the trouble that you are having, I've been working on it all day and am continually going in circles and not getting anywhere. If you find out how to change it please let me know, my head is aching...
Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

Anyone know of a third party app that will allow us to customize our SMS?  I have always done it as well!

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy
Follow NurseBerry08 on Twitter