Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Can't Decline or Delete Messenger Contact Request

Not being familiar with BBM, I recently added it to my phone with no security options turned on.  Friday I received a ton of requests (from unknown people) to add mine to their contact lists, which I declined.  They each were removed from my message list when I declined them.  However, one of the messages will not go away.  I have clicked "decline" and have attempted to delete the message, neither of which has had any effect.

I have since blocked incoming PIN messages in my firewall with exceptions of "Contacts" and "Specific Addresses".

1. Any idea how to get rid of this one message?
  2. Did someone somehow obtain my PIN or were all of the requests I received simply broadcasts that I picked up?

New Contributor
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: O2

Re: Can't Decline or Delete Messenger Contact Request

Anyone...?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

To delete the message from your Messages folder, try this:

Open your Messages folder.  Highlight the date just above the message in question.  Click the menu button, which is the BB button to the left of the trackpad.  Select Delete Prior>Delete.  If the message remains there, remove your battery while your phone is powered on then replace it a few seconds later.  The message should be gone upon reboot.

As for someone getting your PIN, there is really only way for them to do so and that's for you to give it to them.  If this is not the case, perhaps you're using a secondhand phone in which the previous owner gave his/her PIN to others?  If it's neither of those options, then I'm out of ideas.  Smiley Sad

Hopefully we get rid of that message at the very least.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: 9780

[ Edited ]

The battery pull worked, although it seems like a crude approach. I'm just curious as to how I got a random request from someone I certainly don't know - are Blackberrys prone to 'spamming', if this is the correct term ? I have bought the Blackberry mainly for fast access to emails - at present I don't use BBM and can't figure out how I received a contact request.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my case the message seemed to disappear one day on its own; I likely had popped the battery out in the interim so it's a good bet that that cured mine also.  As for the PIN question, my phone is a new phone and I didn't share the PIN.  In fact, the scenario was that I got the phone on a Tuesday and installed BB Messenger Wednesday.  I didn't use it, then Friday evening we went out to dinner and while we were waiting on a table my phone started going nuts with incoming requests (got about 50-60 in 20-30 minutes).  Since blocking PIN messages in my firewall in late January I have seen 3 or 4 of these requests.  Another website recommended that users search the web for their PIN as they are sometimes posted by nefarious people, but I was a little hesitant to stick my PIN in everyone's search cache.

New Contributor

BTW, thanks for the reply!

My Device: torch 9300 white
My Carrier: orange

Hi Just seen your post i have exactly the same problem

i have a request and i cannot decline accept or ignore it its just sitting in my notifications i have taken the battery out and that hasnt worked. HELP!!!

Kirsty x

csa
My Device: BB Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

thank you very much, removing the battery while the phone was powered solved the problem and removed the unwanted invite. Cheers.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell

Wow. Looks like tons of people are having the same probs. My phone is rather new. I have the same prob. Battery pull sometimes works.

aj1
My Device: Blackberry Bold

Thank you very much for your info - worked for me. Bit of a pain to keep removing the back of the telephone tho.