Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Can't Kill "UnDead" PlayList!

My 8820 insists on playing every song in the folder when I play any one.  There is no evidence of a playlist, nor are there any options to edit or delete a playlist.  It appears I'm stuck with a default setting to play the entire folder every time.   (I also deleted all playlists from Roxio Media Manager).  Please help return to individual song selection.   My OS is v4.22.169.
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Can't Kill "UnDead" PlayList!

When you open "Media" on Blackberry workspace there is a screen with icons to select from. Music, Videos, etc.

Try to the following, in this screen with icons click on "Menu" button on Blackberry keypad and select from menu: "Explore".

The classic folders view will appear. In this case select a folder with music, in that folder pick a file and play it.

The device should play only this file unless "Play all" or "Play folder" are selected from menu.

does it work for you ?

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums!

If you have a media card.

Plug the BB and PC together via USB. Bring up MY Computer in windows,

Go the to the music folder on the BB and delete and .dat files and any files that are not music. (.wav, mo3, mp4 etc)

Do a one minute battery pull with the phone ON, replace after I minute, let the BB reboot 1-3 min.

The BB will now reindex the music files, depending on the amount of files, this may take 5-15 minutes,

See if you can play an individual song.

Thanks

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

No luck.  I deleted all non-music files and did a reboot as recommended.  BBerrythumbs.dat was recreated with the curent date.  I was still unable to play files individually, so I deleted everything in the folder and used BlackBerry Desktop manager to reload the music (not a sync, a totally new select and copy process, one by one).  Even though there is no evidence of a playlist file, I can stop a song, click the menu key, and select the SHOW PLAYLIST option to view a list of every file in the folder.  Thee aren't any options to DO anything to the playlist, though.  I did notice an extra icon at the lower left next to elapsed time during playback that seems to indicate the entire folder is in fact selected, but can't do anything with it.
New Contributor

Yes, I can select files individually by "brute force" by exploring the folder and picking them that way.  This seems to have no effect on the standard Blackberry menu selections, though.  I'm hoping to be able to use the standard user interface for media selection. 

See my reply to the previous tip for aditional status info.  How can there be a playlist without a file on the BlackBerry to hold it?  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Guru I

I think your right about if it's not in there how can it play.

Copy the entire media card to a safe directory on your PC.

I would use the BB as a flash drive in my computer then just drag and

drop. It's quicker, more efficient and the are no program restrictions.

Once you have the media card completely inept,(fire structure too,

I minute battery pull with the device ON, replace and let it boot 1-3 minutes.

Now, let us hear the undead speak! If it does, it has to be device memory

Does that sound like a plan?

Thanks,

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

You gave me some great ideas, but the problem persists.  I copied the media files to my PC, deleted everything on the BlackBerry media card, "Quick" formatted it, rebooted the BlackBerry, and copied the files back.  The playlist seems to be created automatically, even in this scenario.  I deleted the files one by one and watched the playlist shrink, added them back and watched it grow.  I deleted BBerrythumbs.dat multiple times to force it to be recreated.  No files appear in device memory - everything's on the card. 

Whenever I list "All Songs" and select any one, I can see the grayed-out shuffle icon and they all play in sequence.  I can play a single file only by sorting/selecting so that only one song qualifies for the list (e.g. album, artist, genre, etc)., or by exploring the folder as recommended earlier.  I even tried splitting up the songs in multiple folders on the media card and in device memory. I GREATLY appreciate your help, but I'm beginning to think this isn't worth the many, many hours we're  spending. 

Can you recommend a replacement media player?  Do you know of any firmware upgrades in the works that might "accidentally" fix this?  (BBerry 8820, OS version 4.22.169)

Thanks again for the dedicated and insighful feedback.  I'll continue to experiment as I can based on what I learned from our conversation.

Guru I

[ Edited ]

HI,

You may need to get an exorcist and a mallet!

I'm glad you had mention your OS level, I know they haven't released 4.5 for the 880 series,

but I should have checked, There are some issuer of the media files freezing up and causing problem

with people who had left the media card in while doing the upgrades.

None however developed the divine ability of Total recall like yours Smiley Happy

I have not heard of this before, so I don't know if there are any patches for it.

I can recommend Flipsider a media player that a lot of user I know prefer.

I will edit this post with the link.

Sorry we didn't get it fixed, but maybe Flipsider will make up for it.

Thanks

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks 

http://www.bbgeeks.com/blackberry-applications/flipside-blackberry-mp3-player-88228/

Here's a write up and on the site is an OTA kink.

Message Edited by Bifocals on 11-28-2008 02:23 PM