12-17-2012 12:00 PM
12-17-2012 12:54 PM
12-18-2012 03:54 PM
This is a response to rebellion_ska in case the issue reappears.
If the AW icon refuses to open AW version 184.108.40.206 here is what I do if I have 40 minutes available. Note, that I don’t use the ‘wipe’ method which only reinstalls the system software but not my settings, data, and apps (particularly my current updated AW version. For some reason, AW works best when installed together as part of the device software reinstall).
1) I do a full backup of my Torch 9800 using DTM 7.1 (just in case something goes wrong)
2) I select ‘Update’ under ‘Device’.
(Since I installed a copy of the latest device system software from my service provider on my PC I will now do a ‘fake update’ which is equivalent of reinstalling the current device software. If you have not installed the current device software for your phone from your service provider, do this step first).
3) The response is: no update available. I continue anyway and when I see the box ‘Review the following options before you begin’ I uncheck ‘Email me when new versions are available’ and then select ‘Install updates’.
4) I check the box: '6.0 Bundle 3049 (v220.127.116.116, Platform 18.104.22.168) currently installed' and then hit ‘Install’
5) I wait till the final message box comes up saying: ‘Your software update is complete’
6) I disconnect my phone, follow the set up prompts, and then exit set up
7) I open AW (the icon is now working!) and select ‘Restart now’
8) I open AW and follow the prompts for the BBID which requires then another reboot
9) I open AW and upgrade all prompted apps and reboot again.
If my AW freezes again (can happen, say after updating some app software versions) I repeat the above. The ‘freezing’ of the AW icon happens rarely so one can live with this issue till RIM releases a better AW version.
12-18-2012 04:28 PM
12-18-2012 11:08 PM
This response is for vennger.
There are many postings which refer to the missing icon issue. Have you tried to type: ’missing icon’ into the
empty black box ( under the lady's picture) on top of the screen and then either pick a solution or click the search button to the right to get a list of solutions?
The problem is many solutions are outdated because DTM 7.1 was not available and AW version 22.214.171.124 was not around but check it out anyway.
Have you tried to pull the battery or hold down the ‘alt’ key and the ‘right shift’ key and the ‘delete’ key simultaneously for 3 seconds till your phone reboots after you installed the latest AW version? There is a good chance the icon will reappear after, say 2 reboots as suggested by rebellion_ska.
If the icon still does not show up why not try to reinstall your device software with my above suggestion and give the community some feedback. Important is that the latest AW software is installed which can be verified by using the application management before you do the ' fake update', i.e. device software reinstallation with all your current data, settings, and apps in one update.