Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm2
My Carrier: Verizon

Can't Select Contacts When Texting

I have a 9810. It has 7.1 Bundle 1997 (V7.1.0.694, platform

When writing a new text, in the "To:" field, I start to type the recipients name. When I get a few letters typed, a drop down box appears and shows me contacts that match my text. I then use the trackpad to highlight the correct contact, then press the trackpad to try to select it.

If the selected contact has more than just a single "entry", I cannot select them off the drop down list. It simply ignores my selection and returns me to the "To:" box so I can continue to type. I can't select the contact if it has :

a. Two phone numbers

b. One phone number and an email address

c. Two phone numbers and an email address

If the contact has just a single phone number, or even if they have just a single email address, then I can select them just fine.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

My Device: Q10/9900/9790
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Can't Select Contacts When Texting

Hello craigred

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

I am sorry to hear you are having an issue with your BlackBerry Torch 9810 smartphone craigred.

The issue you are experiencing is not normal functionality as you should be able to select the contact phone number. Can you please confirm if the issue happens intermittently or every time when attempting to add a contact to and SMS message?

The next steps in order to troubleshoot the issue are to clear the contacts and sms messages from the device and attempt to reproduce the issue you are having. This is because the issue can be related to the device data and not the device operating system.

In order to clean reload the BlackBerry Torch 9810 smartphone please follow the below knowledge base article:

Note* Please backup your BlackBerry Torch 9810 smartphone data before the clean reload process. If not the data will be lost during the reload of the BlackBerry operating system.

Please follow www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB12487 to backup the BlackBerry data.

Once the BlackBerry Torch 9810 smartphone has been reloaded please do not restore your data right away. You will need to test the device and make sure the issue has not returned. This can be done by adding contacts back to the device that have:

a. Two phone numbers
b. One phone number and an email address
c. Two phone numbers and an email address

Once the contact has been created please attempt to add them to a SMS conversation.

I look forward to your reply forward and I hope these steps find you well craigred. If you are having trouble with the above steps please contact your wireless service provider.

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!