Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Accepted Solution

Can't access POP3 email with Blackberry, but works fine in other mail clients

My company has recently moved email hosting to a new dedicated server (with Lunarpages - www.lunarpages.com).

We have normal, run-of-the-mill POP3 email accounts that can be accessed via any regular desktop mail client (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc.)

I set up one of these accounts successfully on my Torch 9800 last week and had no problems. Yesterday, I deleted that account to demonstrate to a co-worker how to add a new account, and I have been unable to add a new account using the same settings since.

This is not a carrier- or device-specific problem (I've tried on multiple carriers and multiple BB devices, all with no success), but it is a Blackberry-specific problem. It is limited to my dedicated server as well, not all servers hosted by Lunarpages.

I know that I am putting the correct settings in for account name, mail server, etc., because this previously worked on my Torch, and the same settings continue to work fine with other phones and mail clients.

I suspect there is some kind of disagreement between my server and BIS. Can anyone even suggest what the problem might be here, or even who I should talk to? My carrier can't help because it's not specific to them, and my server's provider Lunarpages is totally stumped. Please, any suggestions are welcome!

New Contributor

Re: Can't access POP3 email with Blackberry, but works fine in other mail clients

Problem solved.

If anyone needs to know, http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11036 describes the IPs that need to be unblocked in order for BIS to interact with an email server.

However, NOT included on that list was 74.82.80.0/24, another RIM server, which I discovered this morning had been blocked by my server. That list was updated in late 2011 so I guess they've changed things since then. Anyway, once I unblocked that range, everything is now working.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Can't access POP3 email with Blackberry, but works fine in other mail clients

I would suggest clicking Options beside your post with the solution in it and marking the thread as Solved.  That way, others with a similar situation can easily find your solution.

Your co-operation is appreciated.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Done, thanks for the tip!

New Contributor
My Device: 9360
My Carrier: DU

Can you please advise as how to do this as i am also stucked at the same place.

Thanks

New Contributor

Hi hussainyr,

I had to unblock the IP address listed above from my server's firewall (as well as others listed by RIM somewhere in their help section) for this to work.

In the end, (my server uses cPanel), we just disabled the cpHulk Brute Force Protection system. So many people in my company were trying to set up their BlackBerry for the first time and were using incorrect/typo'd login credentials that the cpHulk thought it was being attacked by the RIM servers, so it blacklisted them for a 15-day period. If you have control over your server, you may want to look at this. If you don't, perhaps you should suggest this as a possible problem to your server administrator.

Regards,

Ian

New Contributor

Hi Isolecki,

I am using Lunerpages and have a cpanel. Let me see if that can help. I have purchased new phones from a separate carrier and after configuring my email ID, I am unable to setup email in any of the devices.

Thanks a lot
New Contributor

My server was a Lunarpages one, running cPanel, as well. If you have a support package with them, suggest this solution to their support people. Tell them to look at the addresses that cpHulk has blocked, and do whois queries on them to see if any belong to RIM. (The address I listed above and the ones RIM has provided might be out of date as this was about 6 months ago when I had the problem).

Good luck!
New Contributor

many thanks to your suggestion. I am in Dubai, so due to time difference was unable to contact them. Got the solution over the phone.

Its working now Smiley Happy