Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Can't add new contacts?

Has anyone experienced a problem adding new contacts?  When I go to my contacts book - to "new contact" and click to add -- nothing happens - it's as if I didn't click it - or else it freezes up and I have to do a hard reboot.  Same thing if I go to the call log and click to "add to contacts" -- nothing happens.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

This phone is only 9 months old - still under warranty.  Best Buy has turfed me to the Blackberry site.

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Can't add new contacts?

How are you doing a 'hard reboot'?

Do a simple reboot on the BlackBerry in this manner:

With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot. A reboot in this manner is prescirbed for most gltiches and operating system errors, and you will lose no data on the device doing this.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Sorry - my mistake for the wrong terminology - I've done "soft boots, " pulling the battery several times, and it doesn't help.  Last night I backed it up, did a "security wipe" and then reinstalled.  Still makes no difference.  I'm wondering if it has something to do with my recent operating system upgrade to 5.0.0.979?

thanks for your response -

I'm thinking you have something wonky in the address database causing a problem.

Here's what I'd do... you still have the device backup from the upgrade?

(Search your PC for *.ipd, usually in the My Documents folder, and confirm you have the backup file.)

I'd wipe the address book:

(Desktop Manager > Tools > Remove Data > and go to the Address Book and clear it.)

Now, complete that, and when finished, on your device, check the address book, it should be empty.

See if you can add a new contact, etc. All is good?

So, return to Desktop Manager and restore ONLY the Address Book data.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks for that suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work.  I backed up, deleted and restored to no avail.  Everything else on the phone works fine..  any thoughts on reinstalling the operating system since I upgraded not so long ago / possibly when this problem began? 

marshw011 wrote:

any thoughts on reinstalling the operating system since I upgraded not so long ago / possibly when this problem began? 

I would reinstall or upgrade.  5.0.0.1014 is available now, and has pretty good reviews.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9700-series-discussion-bold-2/240784-latest-os-9700-5-0-0-16...

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Well this is interesting. I've upgraded to the newer OS and I think it leads us back to your theory on the address book.  I checked the "new contact" function after I updated the OS and before restoring and it worked fine.  Now that I've restored my old address book - it doesn't work again.  Should I not have restored it and added them one by one instead?

so close......  (and still really appreciating your help!)

Ok, sorry for the delay in my response... real life intevenes.

Yea, I am still thinking the Address Book database is corrupt somehow.

Do you every sync your address book to Outlook,... or anything else?

Outlook Express?

Could you?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

OK - I've tried syncing to Outlook, and they're not playing well together.  When I try to synchronize the address book only (after configuring settings to copy over th BB address book)  I get the message below:

"Please choose what to synchronize:  organizer data, add-ins, date and time"

I tried all the other sync options and get the same message. 

I flipped over to "applications" and get the message "there was a problem communicating with the device."

I'm thinking maybe I should wipe it again, then restore the apps, and sync the address book?

It's really like working a puzzle. 

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

i had the same issue "Please choose what to synchronize: organizer data, add-ins, date and time" and figured it out.  

I have both desktop manager 5.x and desktop software 6.x both installed on purpose since i use 5.x for redirectror only and use 6.x for media and organizer sync.   6.x was giving me the error above and i fixed it by opening 5.x s/w and clicking on synchronize and then checking one of the boxes organizer data or add-ins or date and time.    you can then close 5.x and relaunch 6.x and all works again.

voila