Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Can't backup my Playbook on my Mac

When I hook up my Playbook to my Mac and try backing it up, after about 10 seconds I get a generic error message, " An error occurred while backing up your tablet. Please try again." I have the most recent version of the Blackberry Desktop Software ( version 2.4.0). My last backup was Sept 24 which was before the Playbook software update. I had no problems prior to that. Is there a way to work around this problem or am I missing something? Should I delete the desktop software and try reinstalling it? If anyone has an answer to this problem, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Can't backup my Playbook on my Mac

Try rebooting both the Playbook and the Mac and try again. Are you sure you have enough room on the Mac for the backup? They can be pretty big.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Rebooted both my Playbook and my Mac; did not work. Thanks anyway.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I found this in a Known Issues document for DM 2.3.1 build 5. What version are you using?

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/41544/Known_issues_2001964_11.jsp

If you configure the BlackBerry Desktop Software to write backup files to a read-only folder, the BlackBerry Desktop Software displays the following generic error message: "An error occurred while backing up your tablet. Try backing up again. If an error occurs again, contact your support representative." (DT 2359954)

Workaround: Change the permissions on the destination folder or write the backup file to a folder which does not have read-only permissions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

I'm using version 2.4.0 ( build 16 ).
Guru II

Did you try a different folder that you're sure isn't read only?

The document folders permission is a read and write folder. I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to checking the Disk Utility on my iMAC but any suggestions on that.
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: BELL

I uninstalled the Blackberry Desktop Software, rebooted my MAC and tried again, but still get the meaasage that an error occurred. I checked folder admissions and it is read and write. I even created a new folder, but still same thing.

It all strted happening after I stopped a backup in progress one time.  don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it was working fine before.

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10 STL 100-2 & PlayBook 64GB

This issue may crop up if you have any sideloaded apps on your playbook. Confirm if your Playbook has no sideloaded apps.

Have you tried a partial backup for just the settings??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitter: @ukmight
1. Click on the " Like " button if you find anything helpful posted.

2. If any of the replies in your post has resolved your problem, mark the reply(ies) as " Solution ", so that others can readily view the solution instead of creating another redundant post.
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: BELL

I do not have any side loaded apps.