Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Can't call, still texts

Hi BlackBerry geniuses,

I've scoured the forums and can't seem to find a situation like mine, so here goes.  I'll try to be as specific as possible.  I have a 8100 Pearl that is suddenly not making or receiving phone calls.  I did a few "new" things today with it so perhaps one of them triggered this.

I tried to connect my Pearl to my computer with a USB cord to access some pics on it for the first time today.  I realized that I didn't have a Media Card so I thought I could access them in the Desktop Manager, but unfortunately my computer didn't recognize that I had plugged in my Pearl.  It did, however, keep on making those recognizing noises computers make when a drive device is inserted and removed.  The noises happened over and over again.  Then, the best part: my computer screen went blue and said (I can't remember word for word) there was some sort of "software bug" it found that was related to the BlackBerry device and needed to do a memory dump.  The computer's fine and somehow nothing was lost.

I've only made texts on my phone today so I have no way of knowing if I had the capability of calling when I woke up this morning.  I did have calling capabilities last night, however.  A friend tried to call me and texted me that he kept on getting an "error message" whenever he did, so as of right now I can still send and receive texts.  When I try to make a call there's about 2 seconds of that light, static-y connection background noise and then it disconnects; I get no messages telling me there's been an error or anything else.  It ran a security settings scan a few times after I put the battery and SIM card in; this doesn't happen when I turn my phone on normally so I don't know if this is noteworthy or if this usually happens when the card or battery are taken out and replaced.  

I appear to have adequate reception (3 bars), there's no red "SOS" on screen and the wireless is turned on.  When I first got the phone I had the problem with the "SOS" signal but haven't had anything since; it's been a few years since that happened.  

I have removed and reinserted my SIM card, removed my battery for 30 seconds and reinserted it, and have tried going through the "Options" menu to feebly attempt to discern if there's anything apparent that I've turned off or on (I had no idea what I was doing).  I'm at the point where I'm ready to start sacrificing things to the BlackBerry gods to get my calling capabilities restored, so if there's anyone who can offer me a less violent solution I would greatly appreciate it.  Also, if you have any idea on what transpired with my computer going blue that's cool too, but I'm more concerned with the calling problem.

Thanks,

Casey 

Super Contributor
My Device: 7230,7290,8100,8300,8700,9000

Re: Can't call, still texts

Hi Casey and welcome to the forums,

Since you have already reset your handset by reinserting the battery.  I would suggest first to differentiate if that is your SIM or Blackberry issue. 

Can you put your Blackberry SIM card into another cell phone, e.g. Nokia, to ensure you can make and receive calls to rule out it is a sim or network issue.  If you cannot make calls in your Nokia, just contact your carrier to find out why, could be they barred your voice call access or sim error.

If your sim card is fine, there are two possibilities

1. If you are using your blackberry with BES, your IT admin may have barred users from voice calls, check with him or her, or compare it with other blackberry users with the same IT policy (from BB, go to > options > security options > and check the IT policy name with your colleagues who can make calls)

2. Issue with your blackberry software issue, I would suggest you to reload or upgrade your device software.  I noticed that you mentioned your PC is unable to detect your device properly, please follow this KB to reload software http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10144

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If someone give you helpful hints, please click on Kudos.
If you issue is resolved, mark Accept Solution next to the resolution post.
Feel free to search www.blackberry.com/btsc to find your answers.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thank you Forza!  When I woke up this morning my phone was operational again, no idea why but I'm not questioning it.  I'm going to keep an eye on it and if it pulls the same trickery I'll try everything you suggested.  Also, thank you for the software upgrade link, that seemed to do the trick with the computer.

Cheers,

Casey 

Super Contributor
My Device: 7230,7290,8100,8300,8700,9000

I think you BB needs a good night sleep as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If someone give you helpful hints, please click on Kudos.
If you issue is resolved, mark Accept Solution next to the resolution post.
Feel free to search www.blackberry.com/btsc to find your answers.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8320
My Carrier: Vodafone

hey a really easy way is to go to your profiles and then go into the profile you normally use, then to the advanced part down the bottom. From there to the part were it says phone. Go to the bottom where it says Do Not Disturb make sure this is set to No other wise you calls will go to your voicemail.