Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Etisalat

Can't delete or edit contacts on the phone

Hi Guys,

I'm a brand new user, just switched over from an iPhone a few days ago....got everything set up, no problem. Have my email and everything working good, transfered contacts over from my mac (Powerbook G4, runnung OS X 10.5.5) using DM and now i can't delete or edit almost all the contacts (68). Please advise what's the best thing to do? also when i plugged my BB in today, the DM advised some updates....all from BB (i don't have any third party software) and after the install all my sms's were deleted, any idea how do i avoid that in future?

Thanks in advance,

Rajat

New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: xl axiata

Re: Can't delete or edit contacts on the phone

Same happen to me also when I receive abusiness card via BB Messenger and I save it to contact and after that when I try to edit the contact, I cant edit (even delete it). It says " contact updatted externally, change will be lost and the viewer closed".

I hope that RIM cant give a solution for this

New Contributor
My Device: pearl 8220
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

HELLO

I do not have an answer but I get the same "external" message.

I hope we can find an answer this is a real pain.

O But mine os for a pearl8220, I found this post thru google search

New Contributor
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I have the same problem.  I have had my Bold 9700 for about a week and a half, in that time I have done 2 data wipes and spent an hour a half on the phone with BB support. I didn't realise it until today that the problem occurs when I import a vcf file from BBM. 

After importing a contact and adding it to the BB contacts, I cannot edit or delete it. I get an error that says "Contact updated externally, changes not saved, viewer will close". Then when I try to sync it tells me that the application is not available.

The only way around this is to clear the Address book and then do a one way sync from Outlook to the device.

Thanks,

Lars

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is exactly how it happened to me, I recieved the contacts from BBM.

One way transfer, eh. I have it sync with my gmail, Ill try that route.

This is a real pain but if it works for you thanks for the help!!

It WAS really begining to annoy me.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok

I did that, did it with the desk top manager, BURN

the three bad ones stayed, what a pain!!!

Thanks tho

New Contributor

You need to ensure that you have a CLEAN backup of your contacts, I had them on my old BB7100 so I sync'ed that with Outlook first.

Then go to the DTM|Backup and Restore|Advanced.  Click on the "Address Book", and Shift+"Address Book - All" on the right.  Then select clear.  This will clear all of your contacts from the device.  Go to the Contacts on your BB and ensure that it is empty.

Go back to the main menu of DTM and then go Synchronize, click Synchronization on the left and then on the right.  This will take you to the Outlook settings.  Select one way sync from OL to the device.  Go back the synchronization menu and click synchronize.  This will move all of the contacts back to the device.

I hope these instructions are clear enough for you.

Lars

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

YA right on, thanks!!

hoe this does not happen often, i wont be accepting any more contacts!!

Update

ok so I did that and the 3 bad ones are still there.  What a Pain in the **bleep**.

i dont know what else to try is there a way to just cleam the whole dam phone and start over? will I have to re do the network stuff they did at rogers when I got the phone??

what is also a pain is i dont see a way to get ahold of a black berry peron, and unless you are one they have not offered help, there could be an issue with the last update, or a common problem and they would not know.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Orange UK

I have also tried Backup & Restore - Advanced - Clear Address Book & Address Book - All, but the contacts remain. Any other thoughts on how this can be resolved?

New Contributor

I don't know how to fix it permanently but I can now receieve a contact, enter it into OL and then sync within 5 minutes.

To clear your device go to options|Security|Security Wipe.  This will clear your device memory and your address book should be empty.

Can you call carrier and maybe get referred to BB support so there are no charges?

Hope this helps.