Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

Can't get 8530 to let me setup email accounts.

I just got a new 8530 Curve.  When I go to setup my hotmail, yahoo, gmail, email accounts it won't let me.  Is this Verizon's problem or with the phone?  I'd like to get it done.  Thanks.  

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can't get 8530 to let me setup email accounts.

Hello,

See this for instructions:

Otherwise, please expand on "it won't let me"...the sparseness of details only leaves us to make guesses. Please tell us exactly what you attempt and exactly what happens...with full details...remember, we cannot see your BB screen.

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Ok. I go into the setup icon.  Then I click on the setup wizard.  I highlight email setup and click on it.  It goes to: I want to create or add an email address.  Only option there.  So I click on Next.  So then I get After you click Next, the BlackBerry Internet Service setup application opens. After you finish setting up your email press the Menu key and click close.  So I click Next there.  Then it connects to email stuff.  It show Existing Users:  

If you want to access your email settings or you changed your device, log in.   I don't have a log in yet. 

Username:

Password:

Doesn't work.  I want to set my Hotmail and my Yahoo up.  Maybe my company email also.  This isn't working.  Do I need to call my provider?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Maybe...rather than the Wizard, is there an "EMail Settings" icon within the Setup sub-menu? If so, is that simply the same place that the Wizard took you to and results in the same responses?

If so, then it is possible that your BB indeed already has a BIS account configured for it. Some carriers are "helpful" and create the BIS account, including the credentials. Credentials for BIS are only needed when accessing the BIS account from the carriers web page (via PC/Browser)...but, once created, the credentials then must also be used from the BB interface (but it has a "remember me" checkbox so you only have to enter the credentials once on the BB interface to BIS).

If your BIS account indeed already has credentials created, then you indeed do need to contact your carrier. They manage that account for you and can make the adjustments needed so that you can use it.

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
New Contributor

Ok what is BIS?  Yes, when I got to email setup or the wizard it takes me to both places.  I have to give some username and password.  I've never done that to go into my hotmail, yahoo, or Microsoft Outlook.  I need to call my carrier?  I would like to get this done soon.  My old phone had it and it was no problem.  

Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

BIS = BlackBerry Internet Service. See this FAQ:

BIS is a service, hosted by your carrier/RIM, that is enabled when you subscribe, from your carrier, to an adequate data plan (the last one described in the FAQ). BIS enables your BB to do all of those things listed in the FAQ. For email, BIS functions as the intermediary between your BB and your email service(s)...it is what enables (from the perspective of the BB) true PUSH email.

You have a BIS account, managed by your carrier. BIS accounts can (not MUST) have credentials. Credentials for BIS are needed if you wish to access your settings (email configurations, for example) from a PC/browser since there is no way for BIS to recognize you -- when you use your BB, it knows who you are and can get into your account without credentials. But, once BIS credentials are created, they must thereafter be used via the BB interface as well -- but it has a checkbox for "remember me" so you only have to enter those credentials on the BB once.

So, it would seem that someone created credentials on your BIS account. It could have been the carrier for whatever reason. In any event, you need to contact them so that you can have the credentials and use BIS...you must be able to log into BIS in order to add new email configurations, modify existing ones (when you change your email password, for instance -- that is stored inside of BIS so that it can retrieve and deliver email to you), and other things (e.g., Sending Service Books when there is a problem).

Contact your carrier. They will likely need you to tell them something so that they can validate who you are. They can then reset the BIS account credentials so that you can again use it.

Hope that helps!

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Under Setup, you can choose Email Settings rather than Setup Wizard. It should allow you to set up your email accounts without having user name and password for BIS (Blackberry Internet Service). If it still takes you to BIS website, then use your PIN and MEID(hex), which can be found under Options then Status, to set up user name and password for BIS. Once you have an account set up for BIS, you can simply log in and set up your email accounts through its website on your pc, which works better. Hope this help Smiley Happy

New Contributor

I called my carrier and they had to call RIM. They had to reset something. It is working now. Thanks for the help.