Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: T Mobile

Can't launch App World

Hi! I have a Torch 9800 and I can't launch App World since the last time I updated it. I get no messages, it's just that when I click the icon absolutely nothing happens. I reboot it many times by removing the battery but still the same. Any help please? Thanks!!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can't launch App World

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!!

Please try this sequence:

1) Remove AppWorld from your BB:

• KB10040 How to view or remove installed applications on a BlackBerry smartphone

2) Do a proper Batt-Pull reboot (power ON, remove battery, wait, insert battery, wait).

3) Install (on your BB) a fresh copy of AppWorld

• Again, if it requests to reboot, do so.

4) Do another Batt-Pull reboot

5) See if it now works.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thank you so much for your help!! I did the whole process twice and still nothing. Any other ideas? Thank you again!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Are all of your other BIS-level services functioning fine? Email? BBM? Social Networking? Browser?

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

No problem with anything else, just with App World.

Hall of Famer III

I'm sorry...I'm going to have to ask the question again. I need a more explicit response. You see, there are multiple different data plan levels that one can have on a BB, and not all of them enable AppWorld. So, the actual functionality of the other BB-level services you have will be a better indicator of if AW should or should not work.

For instance, if you have no BB-level data plan, then you would not be using PUSH Email, BBM, etc....but your response above could still be interpreted as correct.

So, please let us know if you actually are using any of the BB proprietary services -- BBM, PUSH email, the BB native browser (not via WiFi; carrier data network), etc.

As another indicator, please check Manage Connections > Services Status, and tell us the status of BlackBerry Internet Service.

Also, would your BB happen to be a corporate BES-controlled BB? If so, that as well could explain it...many BES admins don't want their users accessing apps freely.

Good luck!

Contributor

Thank you so much for your answer!! I'm really sorry I don't understand some of this things like the BB level data plan. I don't know if this will help, but I have AT&T which supports the BB Torch 9800 and I have the BB plan with them. The thing is that I had no problem with App World until I did the last update. I've had this phone for a year and a half and App World was perfectly fine, so it seems this last update caused the problem. About BBM for example, I'm using it with no problem and I'm having absolutely no problem with any other app or service.

About "please check Manage Connections > Services Status, and tell us the status of BlackBerry Internet Service.", it says:

Mobile Voice Status available

Connection Mobile Network

BB Internet service connection Wi-Fi

BB Enterprise service connection Wi-Fi

Mobile Network Coverage 3G Provider AT&T

In Mobile Network options it says:

Data Services ON

While Roaming ON

About corporate BES-controlled BB, I'm sorry I have no idea what that is.

I really appreciate your help, and I'm sorry I couldn't answer any faster but I was without internet for 4 days.

Thank you so much again!!!!

Hall of Famer III

Hi again!

OK...so, AW used to work. Then there was an AW update, and it stopped working -- symptom = click AW icon and nothing happens at all. You then did everything in post 2, exactly as it states (twice in fact), and the result remains exactly the same (click AW icon, nothing at all happens). Very odd...

OK let's try the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! Let us know.

Contributor

Yes, what's happening is exactly how you described it and actually I followed the steps in post 2 3 or 4 times. So now I followed your new instructions and I got the messages after both steps and then I did the reboot. Then I followed again the instructions in post 2: uninstall - reboot- reinstall - reboot and I'm still getting nothing. I'm wondering if there's a way to install an older version of App World and if it would work as it used to.

Hall of Famer III

Very odd indeed.

Typically, there are just two versions of AW available...the most current, as installed by the above steps. And the version that originally came with your BB OS version, which you install via the Desktop Software.