Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Can't make calls or send texts

Hi, I've recently bought a Blackberry Storm. I bought it 2nd hand and the phone worked perfectly before. Upon buying it I reset the phone back to the factory setting to remove the old contacts and email settings.

I then using my work Vodafone sim which acknowledged the network on the home screen but would not let me make calls or send texts but it would let me on the internet. I have now unlocked the phone and tried it with an O2 sim and this acts in the exact same way.

I have made sure the mobile network is on and it is automatically found the 02 network ok but the problem remains. I have tried manually selecting both the 2G and 3G O2 networks but no change. I have also run diagnostic tests which gives me the following:

radio data activation: no

signal level: unknown

radio access: unknown

network: unknown

IP address: unknown

ICMP ping echo: no

Can you please help???

Trusted Contributor

Re: Can't make calls or send texts

Have you tried a battery pull yet?  Make sure the phone is on and then remove the battery for a few seconds and then reinstall it and see what happens.
If this info helped, please click on my Kudos. Thanks.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried that but no it didn't help unfortunately. Whenever I try and call anyone a box pops up saying 'call failed'.

Message Edited by LeeTomo on 02-26-2009 03:33 PM
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 8520
My Carrier: O2 - UK

Hiii, Ive had the same problem, but my friend gave me a blackberry curve 8520, i could acess internet but couldnt send or receive texts/ make calls or receive them, i rang o2 and stated that my friend gave it me, and they set up a data plan, make sure you ring vodafone and inquire a data plan! ortherwise your phones as good as a handheld internet device, state that your friend gave it you, registered and everything, they will unregister and lease the pin and then it will be unregisted, you then need to go to vodafone customer service and setup a blackberry.net email account, this can take upto 2 - 4 days but its worth it.

Hope i helped! read my post for a better insight as it has an answer Smiley Very Happy

New Contributor

I fixed my sms and call issue. 

For sms:

When I updated the voicemail number in my Storm and replaced it with my carriers voicemail number, within a few minutes it was working.

For call:

I went to Menu, Phone Options, Smart Dialing, and changed the Country code to Unknown.

It then showed a message sayingSmart Dialling not available - contact numbers will be dialled without modification. 

I could then make calls.

Hope this helps.

Smiley Happy