Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Can't open SMS Texts

I'd like to throw my voice into the mix that this issue is very annoying!  I've just been doing the "compose new sms trick" ever since i did the 5.0 update.  PLEASE FIX RIM!!!

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I have the same issue.  The text can't be opened for a while and then it works.  Seems very random, but does occur with Verizon users.  I am on T-Mobile with a 9700 Bold.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Very frustrating when you are in a text conversation and you suddenly can't open a SMS.

Thanks!

My Device: storm
My Carrier: verizon

Had to register to this site just add my problem to the list!  

Unable to open text message... in any way shape or form.  Just started last night.  On verizon.  Had to get the upgrade 2 weeks ago to be able to tether to my new mac.  Hmmm... why a problem now?

Definitely seems like it should be a fixable problem...

And definitely seems like a BIG problem for LOTS of folks!

Come on blackberry...

Come on verizon...

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I'm on T-Mobile in the UK and I've just started getting this problem. Only seems to affect certain messages, not all of them.

The only way I've found to resolve it so far is to take the battery out and restart.

Pain in the butt problem that should be sorted!

K.

New Contributor
My Device: None

I just upgraded to 5.0.0.545 last night, and now i too am getting this problem with my Bold 9700 (Vodafone UK)

I have never experienced this issue until now. It's incredibley annoying and by far the worst bug i have had on a blackberry.

Accessing my saved SMS and my largest SMS conversation thread now seems to only work randomly. Most of the time i am blocked out of it.

I now have to do a battery pull every time i want to read a new message in my largest SMS thread. Once i have done a battery pull, as soon as i access an older saved SMS message, i can no longer get into any other messages in the entire thread.

It would be nice if BlackBerry and the carriers would actually listen to the problems people report, instead of just changing random things in their updates

I am going to go back to my previous software version that actually worked. my fault for thinking an upgrade actually meant upgrade, instead of a software downgrade!

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z30 STA100-5
My Carrier: AT&T

My wife's 9700 just started doing the same thing yesterday, but I also think she hasn't updated her software in a while.  She has 5.0.0.296 on her phone and I am in the process of updating her desktop manager for her Mac to see if I can update the phone afterwards.  I keep my 9700 up to date and have not yet seen the issue on my phone.

Is there a fix for this yet?

My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Same problem. This phone was god aweful expensive when I bought it, I shouldn't have this type of very simple problem. I am using Verizon on a 9630 tour... ><

FIX THIS! Lame programmers......

New Contributor
My Device: Z30 STA100-5

OK, I updated desktop software and current phone software to my wife's 9700 with no change.  However, we then tried to delete the single contact whose texts are freezing, and re-enter the contact...still no luck.

At this point, the good news comes from deleting the stream of texts from this frozen contact, which seems to have solved the problem...so far! Smiley Wink

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Can't open SMS

[ Edited ]

I'm chalking this one up to an issue with the threaded messaging code... I've seen it occur on 5.0.0.419 and 5.0.0.484 on my 9630, and I've seen it on the shipping OS, (5.0.0.303, I *think*) 5.0.0.405, and 5.0.0.593 on my 9700.  I've seen it occur with as few as 10 total messages in a thread, and I see it more frequently with longer threads.  One solution I've found is to hit Alt + S (On a device with a full keyboard) to display all the messages individually (the old 4.x style of showing them) and you can open the newest message there and reply to it.  I would like to either see this issue actually fixed (so that I don't have to pull the battery every time I get an SMS),  or give me the option to go back to the single message view. I have a problem with being forced to change something that worked just fine before to something that doesn't work so well.  Judging by the comments I've seen here, and over on CrackBerry and BlackBerry Forums, this is a pretty wide spread problem...

This is my only gripe about OS 5. And it looks like an issue that specific to the OS it self, regardless of device...

My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

Bought my 9700 yesterday on the Vodafone network in the UK.

Received this error about 10 minutes ago which led me to do a Google and then onto this forum.

Please could someone advise? It's highly annoying and I find it ridiculous that it's something so simple that is messing up... to think I thought this phone was flawless for the past 24 hours.