Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ERA

Can't open 'Text Messages' options window

Hi,

I'm trying to modify my text message options. In the message list window I press the Blacberry key, scroll down and select 'options' - the options page pops up for about a second, and then I'm taken back to message list.

I'm able to open email and other options windows without an issue - this only happens for text message options. Any ideas?

(I've just tried software update and have been told I have the latest)

Any ideas? Thanks!

M

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can't open 'Text Messages' options window

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hi,

Apologies about taking so long to respond.

Unfortunately I've tried it all even before I wrote the post. Taking out the battery for 1 min, long reboot, etc. The problem still persists: when I select 'text messages' and then 'options' using the BB key, the options window flickers on for a second, then disappears again. This is the only options menu behaving this way...

Any other ideas?

New Contributor
My Device: torch 9800

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The same thing is happening to my BB torch (also a friend of mine's).

I've also tried the hard reboot (removing the batery).

What else I've tried:

1. Deleting applications that I've installed one by one (rebooting after each delete).

2. Doing a full Security Wipe by deleting all data/applications and configs.

3. Hard rebboting again.

Nothing helped.

This wouldn't be such a pain if it wasn't for the fact that something happened to my Service number and now I can't send text messages. I'm getting the Invalid Service number error. In order to change it, I need to go into text message options :/

I've also checked the Log (hold ALT and press L, G, L, G), by first clearing it and then going into text messages and options

The contents are:

- a UI - UIE: no face detected

GUID: bef92e11214401c3

-S Java Exception - NullPointerException

Severity: Severe Error

GUID: 9c3cd62e3320b498

*there's a long stack trace

-E net.rim.options - Exception populating options screen: java.lang.NullPointerException

Severity: error

GUID: 7342f5d9a0b60736

then the same S Java Exception and the no face detected.

This seems like a serious error, hope there is a fix for it.

Thanks.

EDIT:
forgot to mentions that the options on text messages got fixed on my friend's torch after a security wipe.

Highlighted
New Contributor

bump

New Contributor

Anyone??

smartphones my a.ss, feels like I'm back on Windows 95.. Smiley Mad

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I had the same problem. You can temporarily solve the problem by inserting the SIM card of another provider (the options window will appear with no problem). After setting the required options, reinsert proper SIM card - settings will be remembered. But I do not know how to solve the problem permanently.

New Contributor

Thanks for the tip Kakus - I'll give it a try!

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: ais

same problem on my new bold, except the options screen doesn't even momentarilly appear, it doesn't popup at a all. This all started yesterday, no problem before for the 2 weeks i've had it,, tried all the resets, clearly a software glitch, this is ridiculous, think I'll go back to the iphone!!!
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: ais

Up