Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9650 OS6 (primary), Curve 8530 OS5
My Carrier: Verizon

Can't receive Yahoo email...plz help

I'm not sure if this is where my question belongs, so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area :-s

I've been having an issue receiving my yahoo mail on my device (BB Curve 8530) for about a week now and have tried everything I can think of to resolve it, but nothing has worked. Hopefully someone here can think of something that might fix it as I'm at my wits end and out of ideas.

OK, about a week ago I got about 3-5 yahoo emails on my device from Yahoo Answers. I logged into Yahoo on my laptop and there were 20+ in my account, many of which I hadn't received on my device. The following day the same thing happened and the next day I received no Yahoo email on my device but logged in on my laptop to find that I had 10 emails in my yahoo account. So I went from getting only a few of the emails to getting none.

I tried a battery pull, which fixed it for a very short time, then I went back to getting no yahoo email again. I tried sending service books as well as registering via the host routing table, both gave me the same results, fixed it for a short time then went back to getting nothing at all. Yesterday someone suggested that I delete then undelete the service books. Again, fixed it for a short time then went back to getting nothing at all. Last night I deleted the email account from my device altogether, performed a battery pull, then setup my yahoo email again. It fixed it for about 24 hours and now I'm back to getting nothing again.

In the meantime, if I send myself an email from my google account to my yahoo account, it will go through and I receive it on my device. If I send from my device using my yahoo account it also goes through. But 90% or more of the messages I receive are from Yahoo Answers, which I'm not getting. This puts me at a complete loss as there are no filters on my Yahoo account or on my device that should prevent them from coming through.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? How to fix it? Anything?

Thanks in advance to those who reply!

~JavaBrat~
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Can't receive Yahoo email...plz help

Hi JavaBrat,

I'm assuming that you only use Yahoo mail on the web and not through a mail client, such as Outlook or Thunderbird?

Also, make sure all of your Yahoo emails are going directly to the Yahoo inbox and not to sub folders or junk folders. Only the inbox will be delivered to your BlackBerry. 

If the above doesn't help, feel free to send me your PIN via Private Message so that I can see if there are any issues on our side with your account integration.

Thanks!

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Developer

[ Edited ]

Hi CptS!

Thanks for the reply!

My Yahoo mail is sent directly through to my device and is not through any mail client. Also, my Yahoo account has no sub folders and being that the emails I receive are mainly from Yahoo Answers, they're not being directed into my spam folder either.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion at this point that it has to be something with Yahoo itself as I also have a google mail account which comes through to my device with no problems. As well as my Yahoo mail was coming through perfectly for the last two to three months, with the exception of this past week. Yesterday it (Yahoo) started working again and my mail has been coming through on my device, however, there has been a significant delay as mail is hitting my Yahoo inbox several hours prior to reaching my device.

So I don't know what the deal is. But, what you can tell about my email account integration from my PIN?

Thanks again for your reply!

~JavaBrat~
Retired

So your GMail is working ok and your Yahoo has a significant delay?  What happens with Yahoo and GMail, (in a nutshell) is that we have a notification system set up so when a new message arrives in your inbox, our BlackBerry Internet Service is notified and then goes to retreive the message.  We will automatically check your inbox every 6 hours, just in case we weren't notified of any new messages.

Is it possible you can send me your PIN via Private Message? (click on my name to go to my profile page and click "Send this user a private message")

Thanks

-CptS

New Developer

You're correct, Gmail works perfectly, Yahoo is jacked LOL

So basically BIS isn't getting Yahoo notifications therefore I'm not getting my mail until BIS auto checks every six hours. Am I understanding that correctly?

Also, I don't want to come across as rude, but what can my PIN tell you about any of this as I don't see the connection? My apologies if that sounds rude in any way, I'm just always leery about giving it out to anyone :-s

Thanks again for your replies. I really appreciate it!

~JavaBrat~
Retired

You have that correct!

I am actually with Research In Motion, hence my BlackBerry Technical Advisor title, so I have access to some of the "back end" workings of the BlackBerry Internet Service.  With your PIN, I can see how your email is setup and ensure it is configured properly.  I may also be able to see why we are not being notified by your Yahoo account.  Don't worry, your question did not sound rude and you have every right to question my PIN request. Smiley Happy

Don't feel obligated to provide your PIN, I just thought I may be able to dig a little deeper into your issue.  If you prefer not to provide it, that is your choice and its ok with me Smiley Happy

One other thing I could get you to try, if you haven't already done so, is to completely remove and reintegrate your Yahoo email account into your BlackBerry Internet Service account.  Sometimes, reintegrating will re-establish a connection between your Yahoo account and the BlackBerry Internet Service.  Sending service books only regenerates service books and sends them to your BlackBerry.  It has no effect on how BlackBerry Internet Service talks to your Yahoo account.

Thanks

-CptS

New Developer

Yesterday I completely removed the setup for my Yahoo email, performed a battery pull, then set it up again. Would that be considered  reintegrating?

I'll PM you my PIN after I send this since it has me beyond frustrated. I find it almost humoring in a way because all my Yahoo mail that I'm not getting is from Yahoo Answers, where I'm a Top Contributor for helping other people fix their Blackberry's. Now I can't fix my own LOL!

Thanks again!

~JavaBrat~
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: AT&T

OMG if you have solved this problem, PLEASE tell me. I haven't received any of my yahoo mail on my Curve since Friday and I spent 3 hours on a conference call with someone from AT&T and someone from RIM. They couldn't help me and I've tried everything you have. They just tell me the problem is with yahoo. Did you ever fix this??

Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I have two yahoo accounts set up on my bby.  As of yesterday morning they were both working, but as of yesterday afternoon, I can only receive emails from one account.  I can still send emails from both accounts.  I have deleted and re-set up both accounts, tried the battery pull (multiple times) and nothing seems to work.  Does anyone have any insight?  Thx!

New Developer

Sociallisa and mgktmom,

I believe at this point that the problem lays strictly with the Yahoo servers which aren't notifying BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) of new messages. As for why messages aren't being received when BIS defaults and checks every six hours, that I'm not sure of and can only assume BIS is having difficulties communicating with their servers. I also have had issues with syncing contacts and calendar as well where Yahoo is concerned.

I did notice however, that these issues didn't appear to arise until I updated my OS (operating system) from 5.0.0.886 to 5.0.0.973 which has been riddled with various issues (failure to sync with mail clients as well as enterprise servers, bedside mode failing to operate, speakers making popping sounds etc). I since have rolled back my device OS to 5.0.0.886 and have only had the problem happen once, which that time effected both my Yahoo and Gmail accounts unlike previously when it was only Yahoo. That issue only lasted about a day and has been back to normal and working properly every since. I assume that instance was due to a BIS issue.

But considering my initial problems with Yahoo didn't arise until after I upgraded my OS, I personally believe it was a bug in it that was preventing real time communication. I can't be 100% sure on that, but I had no problems until that update and haven't had them since I got rid of the update.

You could try completely removing the email accounts from your device, then perform a battery pull with the device turned on. After the device boots back up, setup the email accounts again and see if the issue continues. If so and you have recently installed an OS update you could also try to roll back the OS to the previous version to see if it resolves the issue as it did for myself. This can be done very easily through the Blackberry Desktop Manager in the updates section. Just uncheck the OS you have recently updated to, check the OS of the OS you previously had, select the apps you want to keep and Desktop Manager will go through a 12-step process of completely the roll back. After approximately 45 minutes you should be back to the OS you had previously and hopefully the problems with the mail will go away as they did for me.

Hope this helps and good luck!

~JavaBrat~