Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Can't set password lock to access media files?

I have a password for when the phone is locked. I want to make a password to access my media files. I went to options and then security. Then encrpytion, and enabled it for the device memory and media card. I pressed saved, but when I go to my media files its still the same. It doesn't ask for a password. How do I fix this?

New Contributor

Re: Can't set password lock to access media files?

BUMP! need help

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi there,

Natively, there is nothing broken. BB's offer full device password protection. The reason for encryption is so that, if the media card is removed, the files cannot be read by some other device. But there is no native method to accomplish what you seek. I don't know if there is any add-on app that would do so...I can't recall specifically from times it's been discussed here in the past, but my memory tells me "no".

Hope that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Steve is correct, encryption does not add another level of passwords. There are some 3rd party apps that can lock down that area if you really need to

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

So I need an app to password protect my media files? That seems odd though seeing as how other phones that aren't even smart phones have the setting where you can set your phone to require a password before viewing your pictures, videos, and what not...

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Each manufacturer chooses the features and functions that they will include. To ask that they all be identical would actuall remove a level of consumer choice. But, it is moot...the BB works the way the BB works. Period.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

lol ^ was a stupid response. So bottom line, is there is no way to set a password for accessing files?

Hall of Famer III

Really? Now that is funny.

The answer to your latest question is already within this thread. There are ways, just not natively. You need some add-on app of some kind. Knottyrope said that there are some. Perhaps some searching on your part might reveal some specifics.