Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Can't setup email: Update failed

When I try to setup an existing email address on my phone (say, Windows Live @hotmail or Gmail), it brings me to the screen where you type in your username and password, and when I try to connect it says "Update Failed."  I've verified I'm entering in the correct username and password but it refuses to set up either accounts.

I was able to create and setup my blackberry.net email address and was able to send a test message from my phone to my gmail account, so that appears to be working fine.  Anyone else having this problem?

Re: Can't setup email: Update failed

I'm having the same issue.  Would someone post how they set up thier email so we can fix...Blackbeery folks you have to have a fix/steps for how to get around this already.

post post post!

New Contributor

I'm having the same problem w/gmail. I have another (university based) email account that worked fine. But I need the gmail account also to be able to my outlook stuff (contacts, calendar, etc).

help!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Gmail has an add-on application that I use that works great. You can find it by browsing to GMail on the Storm...it'll have a link that says "Connect to Gmail faster" or something like that. Otherwise, it's much easier to set up BIS-based emails via the website from a PC than through the Storm interface. On the Storm, you need to first create a userID and password for your BIS account. Then, on a PC, navigate to your carriers BIS webpage and login. Create all of your accounts that way and it'll be much easier.

And, in case anyone is wondering, I only know the BIS URL for VZW --  https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for the info about the link. I wound up using the Verizon support folks who walked me through the process of setting up the account through the BIS account.

While it is only my second day as a Verizon customer, if the customer/technical support stays at this level I'll be a very happy and impressed camper.

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500

I have exactly the same problem. I have a Blckberry email account but every time i try to set up my Yahoo or Hotmail accts I get the same error message. I have to access those accounts through the browser. Am looking for ideas too. Very happy with my Storm otherwise.
DerekBBboy
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Here is the link to all carrier BIS sites:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Where_can_I_log_into_my_BIS_account%3F

And here is the link for configuring POP/IMAP accounts via the BIS site:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10154&slic...

I ALWAYS find it easier to manage my BIS settings via a PC and the website rather than the Storm interface. But that's just me...the result is the same.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for the info. However, this info I know. i am unable to follow it as if i attempt to set up a new account i get the error message 'Account Already Exists for this device'. If i try to log in to the 'existing' account it will not accept any of the user names or passwords i use. I wonder if this is because the device had a previous owner and it's his account i'n trying to log into or if  I've forgotten what i set up. Either way I'm stuck for making ANY changes.
DerekBBboy
Hall of Famer III

Ahhh...yes...that is likely what is going on. And you need to contact your carrier (e.g., VZW) to reset your BIS account so that you can access it. On the initial BIS login page for your carrier, there should be a phone number for you to call. I had to do so with VZW and they had it corrected within about 5 minutes.

New Contributor

i'm trying this

Thanks for the suggestion. Am trying to contact tech support with my carrier vodafone.uk. They have tech problems themselves right now so I need to try later. Will post results for benefit of others in my BB community/family.
DerekBBboy