Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Can't unlock my phone.

Last night water may have gotten into my phone, but I'm not sure. Now I cannot unlock my phone by typing my password. Different keys react weird when I type them in and sometimes the phone will make me type blackberry to unlock it even though that is not my password but every time I try to type blackberry when I type the b the box disappears, It's like the b key doens't work and if i try to type L for my password it types a different letter. I can't unlock my phone and I have unread messages it's really important that I see them. Is there anyway to just completely reboot it/get into my phone without using the password? How do you tell if there is water damage to the phone?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can't unlock my phone.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Run, do not walk, to this post and do everything it says immediately...

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I figured out it is most likely not water damage because it's more based on the keys and not being able to type the right letters. I'm at the point where my phone is prompting me to enter the word blackberry to continue. Every time I try to even type b it closes the box. If i were to try and type a sometimes it comes up with accented symbols if i try to type delete it flashes a $ symbol. Then there are other times where I can type letters and they come up the way they should. What's weird is that I can type a capital B and type half the word Blackberry but then once i type that lower case b again it closes the window. Other times I press random letters on the key board it will make double of that letter. I'm so confused and I don't know if there is a way to fix this problem because I can't access anything in my phone without unlocking it.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Given that it is an electronic device, water does not mix well with it and can cause any number of possible results -- including what you describe. After all, while the keys are physical, they still result in an electrical signal through some circuit board -- and water will have potentially disasterous effects on that transfer of information, which could result as you describe.

It may well be too late to do anything about it if it is indeed water damage -- too much time may have passed. You can still try as suggested. But I don't hold out much hope at this point.

If your BB is basically unusable, then you can attempt a full device OS reload via one of these procedures:

If it still cannot accept the reload, you may have to wipe and reload via JL_Cmdr:

BTW -- I do hope you already have a good backup...all of these procedures will wipe out your existing data (it's probably already gone from the BB anyway). My initial suggestion to you was in the hopes of curing the possible water damage fast enough so as to salvage your on-device data...too late now, I suspect.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................