12-02-2012 03:53 PM
So just recently my phone's been acting really strange. The battery of the phone used to last me 2 days but now it only lasts 5 hours. Also the back of the phone (below the battery to be precise) has started to become hot to the touch. (I have replaced the battery and it still has the same problem.) Today, I went to the 'Orange' store to see if they had any solutions. They told me to download the blackberry desktop software and try to update the package software of my phone.
So I got the software, backed up my phone, then I tried to update my phone.
This is where it gets weird. I was notified to update from '6.0 bundle 695' (I've never updated it since I bought the phone.) to '6.0 bundle 2949'. So, as prompted, I clicked update. Before it updates, I get told that "An updated BlackBerry desktop software component must be installed before you can continue."
So I click to install, but in about 1 tenth of a second, I get "There was an error updating your software, please try again." The window then closes, leaving me unable to update my software.
No matter how many times I retry, I get the exact same error.
If anybody has any ideas or possible solutions on how to update the phone, stop the bad battery life and stop the unusual amount of heat being emitted, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
12-02-2012 06:42 PM
Hi and Welcome to the Community!
The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):
1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages
2) Make sure you have the most recent BB Desktop Software already installed
3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:
4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:
5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.
Don't forget to backup.
Good luck and let us know!