Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8350
My Carrier: Virgin
Accepted Solution

Can't upgrade BB World (I think)

A few weeks ago when starting up AppWorld on my phone, it indicated that I needed to upgrade my AppWorld/World software.  I went through a download process, including signing a user agreement, which presumably took care of it.

But I guess not, because I can't do jack in World anymore.  Here's what happens what I try to start it up:

Hit App World icon in home screen

Message comes up: "To continue using Blackberry App World, you must upgrade your current version. ..."

Select [Upgrade]

A web page loads up, which looks like http://appworld.blackberry.com, except that images don't load

And that's as far as I go, because I have no idea what, if anything, I should do from there.

I have a Blackberry 8350, and the OS is (I guess?) 5.0.0.601.

Help please?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can't upgrade BB World (I think)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!!

Please try this sequence:

1) Remove AppWorld from your BB

• KB10040 How to view or remove installed applications on a BlackBerry smartphone
  • If it requests that you reboot the BB, do so

2) Do a Batt-Pull reboot (power on, remove battery, wait, insert battery, wait), even if redundant to the one you did in step 1.

3) Install (on your BB) a fresh copy of AppWorld

4) Do another Batt-Pull reboot

5) See if it now works.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank you, sdgardne.  I'm not out of the woods yet, though.

I can't delete the current appworld from my phone.  I followed the link you posted for "removing installed applications".  And got to these instructions:

"If the application is not listed in the application list:

1. Display the menu (click the trackwheel or click the Menu button) and select Modules.
  2. Select the software module to be deleted.
  3. Display the menu and select Delete."

Completing #3 is impossible, because there is no Delete option in this meu.  This is apparently true for every item in the Modules list.

Any ideas?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

So, are you saying that, for the first Step 2 and the sub-bullet for OS5.0, that AppWorld is not even listed as an installed app on your BB? Given what you were describing earlier, that would be quite strange...and, therefore, quite strange to have had to fall out of that first process and into the secondary Module process.

So please clarify -- what is your exact result of the first 3 step process? The one where you delete the app itself, not the module.

Thanks!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

"So, are you saying that, for the first Step 2 and the sub-bullet for OS5.0, that AppWorld is not even listed as an installed app on your BB? Given what you were describing earlier, that would be quite strange...and, therefore, quite strange to have had to fall out of that first process and into the secondary Module process.

So please clarify -- what is your exact result of the first 3 step process? The one where you delete the app itself, not the module."

Okay.  Here again are the instructions I was following:

"If the application is not listed in the application list:

1. Display the menu (click the trackwheel or click the Menu button) and select Modules.
  2. Select the software module to be deleted.
  3. Display the menu and select Delete."

Appworld was not listed in the application list (only one thing was listed: Whatsapp), which is why I had to do these steps.

Result of #1: A list of hundreds of Modules comes up, including a bunch with "appworld" in the name (e.g. "net_rim_bb_appworld").

Result of #2: "Select" could either mean "highlight", or "click on".  I tried both, and got different results for each... neither of which did me any good.

Result of #3: When I "select" by "highlighting" an item, and bring up a menu by clicking the menu button (Blackberry logo button), the menu items that come up are View Properties, Edit Default Permissions, Switch Application, and Close.  "Delete" is not an option.

When I "select" by "clicking on" an item, a screen of Module Properties comes up for the item.  When I then I hit the menu button, the menu items that come up are Switch Application and Close.  "Delete" is not an option.

The same is true for every item in the Modules list, not just the appworld ones.

Hall of Famer III

j_aleo wrote:

Appworld was not listed in the application list (only one thing was listed: Whatsapp),  

OK thanks...this is the bit I needed to understand better. However, I still need to understand more...as per what you've reported here so far, here's the line item that you should have followed:

Capture.JPG

But, did you perhaps look at any of the other lists? Other than only the Third Party list? It is possible that AppWorld is not treated as a 3rd party app, and therefore might not be on the 3rd party filtered list, but might show on a different list. It really should be there somewhere, and you should be able to delete it...without having to resort to the Module deletion methods at all.

New Contributor

Worked like a charm.  Thanks!

Hall of Famer III

Excellent! You are most welcome...enjoy!

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold Touch 9900
My Carrier: Vodacom

Hi there. My name is Timmy and I'm using a Blackberry Bold Touch 9900 OS 7.0. For the past few days I've been trying to upgrade my BB App World to the latest version but I keep on getting an error message (907 invalid COD) and when I try to delete the application using all the steps you have stated I fail because there is no delete option from the menu, just as j_aleo described above. I only find switch application, view properties, modules, edit default permissions and close from the menu options. Please help because other applications do have the delete option but not the Blackberry App World.
My Device: bb9900
My Carrier: act fibernet

As told i deleted app world. Im unable to reinstall. Im getting an error: browser has been blocked. Please help me. How to reinstall. I need it in detail.