Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Can the B.B.9300 be used as a portable modem when attached to a laptop?

I bought a Curve 9300 recently, and like the phone; it's pretty funky. I asked in the T-Mobile shop if a B.B. Curve 9300 can be connected to a laptop and used as a modem through which the computer can access the internet. I was told 'Yes'. I've tried to connect using Blackberry desktop software with no luck. I always get the same message; to check the radio is on (Don't know what this means) or contact your service provider.

I contacted T-Mobile this morning, and they plainly stated that there is no way to use the Curve 9300 as a portable modem.

This is really confusing; I'll either get an exchange for a B.B. that can be used as a portable modem, or a refund, but I want to know which of the mutually contradictory things T-mobile told me is correct. If I can use the curve 9300 for such, I'd like to keep it.

If anyone has any answers or help, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Airtel

Re: Can the B.B.9300 be used as a portable modem when attached to a laptop?

1. Yes, It is possible to use the 9300 as a modem. This is provided you have a dataplan from T mobile.

2. "Radio must be on" The connection to your service provider should be on. In a GSM phone this is usually signified by you having an all caps "EDGE" or all caps "GPRS". Just to make it simple - if you are receiving mails on this phone you are all set.

An easy way to use setup to use the phone as a modem is to connect it to your laptop via USB and open the blackberry desktop software. Check out "Tools-> Mobile Internet Settings and Tools->Start mobile Internet

Thanks

Jaikrishnan
New Contributor
My Device: 3g 9330
My Carrier: verizon

Yup.  I use it like that for my laptop, ipad and mobile GPS device.  It's all linked through the bluetooth.  Pair it up and you're set to go!  As long as you have the data plan...

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad other people have had luck. However, the latest I heard from T-mobile (the morning of 06/04) again insisted there's absolutely no way at all to use the curve 9300 as a modem. They changed their tune from what they had said at first. Someone mentioned something about the data plan and promised to get back to me after they resolved the issue. As happens 100% of the time when someone on a phone line says that, they didn't do any such thing.

The Manager at my local T-Mobile store, however, did help out by giving me a free dongle, which has worked just fine.