Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Can you sync to anything other than Outlook?

I just purchased an 8830 from Verizon. I formerly had a Palm, and used the Palm Desktop software. I use Thunderbird for my email, and have just installed the Lightning addon for Calendar and Tasks. My questions are-

1. Has anyone written an add-in or conduit so I could use Thunderbid/Lightning?

2. Are there any other PIM apps for my PC that the  Blackberry WILL sync to for calendar/tasks/contacts?

(Yeah, I know...those of you who will just say "Just get over it and use Outlook" might as well save your breath. And for the record, I also use OpenOffice instead of MSOffice. I can't afford the Micro$oft upgrade fees anymore. )

Thanks,

Eric Lorenz

Re: Can you sync to anything other than Outlook?

My 8830 syncs very well with my intel iMac/ Mac OS Leopard.
New Contributor

I, too, would be very interested if any one has written and add-in to Desktop Manager to sync contacts and calendars with Thunderbird/Lightning. There's been a thread running for 3+ years on blackberryforums.com about support for Thunderbird (search Sync 7100 with Thunderbird).  Maybe if we beef up this thread, we might get some results from BB R&D... I can dream, right?
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

adampuls wrote:
I, too, would be very interested if any one has written and add-in to Desktop Manager to sync contacts and calendars with Thunderbird/Lightning. There's been a thread running for 3+ years on blackberryforums.com about support for Thunderbird (search Sync 7100 with Thunderbird).  Maybe if we beef up this thread, we might get some results from BB R&D... I can dream, right?

this is more on the Thunderbird side than on Blackberry side afaik.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=130100

same for Lightning/Sunbird

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

[ Edited ]
You can do it, but it will cost you a few dollars. Go to http://www.mobical.net and sign up for a free account. It's a full-fledged online PIM, but you can just use the address book if you like. Funambol has a free Thunderbird sync tool that works like a charm, which you can get from http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=149326&use_mirror=osdn&filename=Funambol-Pim-Plugin-win32-v0.4.5.xpi&53502710. Set it up using the info at  https://www.mobical.net/mobical/application/MobicalApplication.html#gwt-faq. Once you've synced your Thunderbird contacts to Mobical, get either the Funambol or Nexthaus SuncML plug-in for your Blackberry, and set it up to sync with Mobical as well. You can get a free trial, after which you have to shell out ~$30 US to buy the plug-in. You can now sync contacts between your BB and Mobical (and other PIM info too if you like).. With the Nexthuas client, you can set up an auto-sync for, say, every 15 minutes (maybe with funambol too, i don't know). So now, you have your Blackberry contacts (+ maybe other data) being wirelessly synced with Mobical every 15 minutes. When you run Thunderbird, you now nice have a nice sync button on your toolbar that you can press whenever you want to  sync Thunderbird and vice-versa.

Enjoy!

Message Edited by ez-b on 08-21-2008 11:19 AM
Message Edited by ez-b on 08-21-2008 11:20 AM
Message Edited by ez-b on 08-21-2008 03:23 PM
New Contributor

Thanks for the info...I'll have to play with it. For now, I went to the 'dark side' and bought a copy of Office XP from EBay. Got it installed. Keeping the email in T-bird for now...until I get everything else in Outlook OK. I may continue to do that, we'll see. I looked into moving all my mail over to Outlook, not an easy process.

Thanks everyone for the help...I'll keep you posted on what I end up doing.

Eric

New Contributor

Good luck. I can tell you from experience that if you're used to using Thunderbird, you're goign to hate Outlook--it's a terrible IMAP client and a resource hog. But good luck anwyay.... Smiley Indifferent
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update to my earlier post....

Even though mobical has a nicer UI, I have decided to use www.memotoo.com instead because not all fields were syncing correctly between Thunderbird and mobical (e.g., mobile number).

Message Edited by ez-b on 08-22-2008 10:05 AM
Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Please read the following thread and see if it gives you any insight:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&message.id=...

Please let me know!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter