Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Cancelling a BBM smilie

I want to send someone a bbm and in that message I plan to be talking about the video game Counter Strike: Source. The short form for this game is CSSmiley Frustrated. BBM always makes the Smiley Frustrated the emoticon (smiley) face with the S shaped mouth.

I feel there should be a way to state that I do not wish that the recipient of this message view my message with the emoticon, but rather they view the raw ascii code.

I can not cite another example off the top of my head, but surely they exist and I am not alone.

To be clear. I do not wish to simply dissable the emoticons on my own phone, but rather wish there was a way to force the recipient of my bbm message to not view a specified emoticon.

Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Cancelling a BBM smilie

Make it easy on yourself and place a space after the colon to look like this: "CS: S"
Afterall the name of the game includes the space as you typed it above Smiley Happy "Counter Strike: Source"

I don't know a way to disable the smileys.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Re: Canceling a BBM smilie

There is also a space between the first 2 words... and C S: S just looks stupid.

I was bringing this up in hopes that a solution would be developed. Not to find a quick easy fix. I am not 8 years old, I can find ways around "rules" on my own. Again, surely I am not the only person who has ever run into this issue of the emoticons taking over... And with the world becoming more and more computer literate, Acronyms are starting to catch on more and more. I don't see this problem going away, but steadily becoming more and more persistent.

I simply wish to bring this to RIM's attention. Perhaps this is not the place to do it? Is there somewhere else I can submit a more formal bug report or requested update?

Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

wow.

email bbsuggestions@rim.com

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

<removed>. I simply did not know that.