Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Cannot Change "Wireless Syncronization" Field for Calendar

just got a new blackberry curve 8330.

installed the desktop manager, upgraded to 4.6

setup the redirector for my outlook account and the email sync works.

calendar doesn't sync.

I can go to the options screen for my outlook email on my blackberry and it shows that wireless sync is turned off, but when I highglight it to turn it on, it doesn't give me the option. all it does is give me a "save, close, or full menu" option.

why doesn't it let me turn the wireless sync on?

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Cannot Change "Wireless Syncronization" Field for Calendar

Are you synching with a BES (receving corporate email from your IT department)?

If you're just receiving email through a personal account thenn you won't be able to use the wireless sync feature

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor

I am not synching with a BES but I do have the redirector installed on my desktop.
Elite I

Well the Redirector just redirects email, not any other data.

You can setup the Sychronization options to sync with the calendar in Outlook though

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
New Contributor

ahh, didn't know that only email was being redirected.

where do I find the syncronization options (blackberry or desktop manager?) and will it be able to sync wirelessly?

Elite I

No wireless sync is only if you're on a BES

If you have Desktop Manager 4.6 you can setup the Sync options by going into Synchronize |Synchronization | Synchronize.

Which version of Desktop Manager do you have?

New Contributor

I have Desktop Manager version  4.6

I pretty much know how to sync when the device is connected.

thanks for helping to clarify that wireless calendar sync is not possible unles I have my own BES at home.

I think I'll tell that to the Verizon salesman who sold it to me. he obviously didn't know the truth.

you're help is much appreciated.

Elite I

Right, the email is the only thing that syncs wirelessly, unless your on a BES. Any other questions feel free to ask   Smiley Happy

How can you tell if you are on a BES or whatever you call it?  I get my work e-mail on my blackberry, but I set up the e-mail account right on my device, and put the web exchange server information in myself. When I asked my Tech Support guy for a PIN number (which my device asked for at one point) he said that I had to get that from AllTel.  Does the BES have to be something our IT guys install and update, or is it something the wireless carrier could do?
Highlighted
Elite I

The BES is server that's installed by your IT department to synchronize your email data with your BlackBerry. If you ask youf IT department if they have a BES they would be able to tell you.

From the way you described it you just setup your device to sync with your webmail. Doing it this way will only poll your mail every 15 mins or so to check and see if new messages arrived. No other will come through wirelessly. You would have to sync with the Desktop Manager to get your Calendar, Tasks, and Address Book information onto the BlackBerry.

With a BES you'd get real-time, near instaneous delivery of your email, Calendar, Tasks, and Address Book information. So if your IT department does have a BES they can create an account for you and then just give you an Enterprise Activation password to activate your BlackBerry on the BES.