Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Cannot Create Email Address

When I try to type in my email adress it tells me "Update Failed".  I am positive that the email and password are correct.  I know the advanced settings I need to have to make the email work, but I cannot get to the page where I enter them.  How do I fix this?
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Cannot Create Email Address

Who is your carrier?  If you're trying to enter this info in the "Enterprise Activation" fields it won't work.  That's for corporate BES email.

You should have a setup internet email or manage internet email icon on your homescreen.  You should be using that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

The email is a University email server.  I am using the "other" feature under the setup and email tab.  Am I doing something wrong?
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

There may be other things required in order to get your university email.  Check with the IT department there on how to set it up.  I'm sure you're not the first BlackBerry user to ask how to get the email on a BlackBerry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

The following is the steps they gave me when I contacted them.  I cannot get past step7 because it gives me "Update Failed".  What am I doing wrong?

1. Click Blackberry Setup.
  2. Click Personal Email Setup.
  3. Click Email Accounts.
  4. Click Add an Email Account.
  5. Type�your email address.
  6. Type�your password.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Click I will provide additional settings for this account.
  9. Click Next.
  10. Click Outlook Exchange as the account type.
  11. Click Next.
  12. Click I can access my e-mail account using a web browser (Outlook Web Access).
  13. Click Next.
  14. In the Outlook web access URL box type https://webmail.um.umsystem.edu/exchange.�
  15. In the Email Account box type your domain\username:

• Hospital - umhs-users\username
      • MU Fac/Staff�- umc-users\username
      • MU Students�- tigers\pawprint
      • UM System - um-users\username�

16. If your password isn't in the Password box, disguised as asterisks, then type in the password.
  17. If your email address isn't in the Email Address box, , then type in your email address.
  18. In the Mailbox box type your username.
  19. Click Next.

Guru II

What happens if you leave the password field blank and hit next?

New Contributor

It says, "You must enter a password"
New Contributor

Typing an incorrect password worked and got me to the next list of settings, but my instructions can no longer be followed.  I do not have a "User Name" or an "Email Server"

Any idea what those could look like?  Is it like imap.xxxxxx.xxx  or is it something else.

New Contributor

I've now gotten it to the end of the instructions as given to me from the university, and I still am unable to get it to connect.  It is now saying that my information is incorrect when it clearly is not.  The only difference is "Mailbox Name" and that is probably the same as my username, so I do not know where to go from here.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Any ideas?