Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK
Accepted Solution

Cannot Install Was-Free Now-paid Apps on PlayBook

Hi,

I cannot install apps that I have downloaded as free now are now paid-for apps on the PlayBook. In AppWorld, I get the following error:

There was a problem during installation. Please try again

This is a problem because an app cannot be upgraded beyond that point, and once uninstalled there is no way to access it.

Anything that can be done to reinstall these apps?

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Re: Cannot Install Was-Free Now-paid Apps on PlayBook

That is just how the App world works.. And the main reason as a developer will stop developing for the Playbook.

As a developer, you can not have any promotions where you give your app for free.

Anyone who gets the app for free are no longer considered owners once the app is normal price again. You don't get access to updates or even the old version of the app if you delete it from your device.

Terrible practice, and really doesn't surprise me to why RIM is not one of the leaders in the mobile market anymore.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Re: Cannot Install Was-Free Now-paid Apps on PlayBook

Yes, I notice that the PlayBook 1.05 update now gives an error message stating that it is now a paid app and allows you to pay for it.

I agree that if you're an early adopter and have reviewed the free app, then it should still be your app.

If the developer doesn't want you to have free upgrades, they can release a separate version.

*sigh*

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!