Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Cannot browse to BlackBerry.com on OS6 using wifi

Hi all,

This has been driving me up the wall and I'd really like to see it gone.

I'm running OS6 on my Bold 9700 and the browser works great until I hit the blackberry.com website. When I do this, the browser ALWAYS switches away from my wifi connection to my carrier connection. This is confirmed because I can see the icon in the top right switch from wifi to 3g or gprs as soon as the page begins to load.

In the meantime, wireless still works for websites in other tabs without any problems.

I reinstalled the OS recently and tried to access the bb.com straight after installing. Brilliant, it worked! And then the phone registered on the carrier network and it immediately fell back into its old habits.

So, please someone help. I regularly visit these forums and the beta zone, and this is driving me mad for months!

Bold 9700
OS 6.0.0.534
Orange UK carrier

Thanks in advance!

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: O2

Re: Cannot browse to BlackBerry.com on OS6 using wifi

exactly the same issue. been on the phone with customer support for 20 mins but still not solved. thinking to replace the hand set but i don't think this will resolve the issue. weired thing is... wifi works for the app world etc but doesnt work for browsing!

please post the solution if u come across any.

Developer

Are you on Orange as well?

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Sorry - I'm on O2-Irealnd.

Developer

Well, that's two carriers then. And I'm kind of relieved to see that it affects the Torch and another carrier. This makes it much more likely to be the OS itself.

I was on the phone with Orange BB support and they couldn't resolve it either. I have already raised it as a bug report on the Beta Zone, but this doesn't help if it isn't.

Hopefully someone from RIM can help us out…

New Contributor

Have a look at this....

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Torch/Can-t-use-Wi-Fi-with-9800-Torch/td-p/1008513

we aren't the only one with this issue, if you google the problem there are many ppl complaining about it. BB guys haven't responded to this. friend got torch from Vodafone-Ireland and he doesn't have this issue (he is on the older version).

My courrier are happy to replace the hand set. I'm thinking to replace the handset (i only got this 2 days ago!!) and the new handset will have the older OS. if it works with the old OS then i won't bother updating the OS. I don't think there is anything you can do on the settings to get it working and as u said - there have to be something to do with OS. there is no way that your carreer is causing this prob.

Pls post the solution if you find one.

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Cannot browse to BlackBerry.com on OS6 using wifi SOLUTION.

[ Edited ]

I had experienced the exact same problem with my bb. BUT I FOUND A SOLUTION 
Try doing a 'soft' reset to your phone by pressing ALT, Right aA button and Delete at the same time.

I did this just out of chance, and it fixed my brower problem on the new OS6 software.

Hope this helps

Smiley Happy  

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Cannot browse to Blackberry.com on OS6 using wifi SOLUTION.

i have done several resets but it does not help. I am using a Bold 9650 with OS6 and the carriers U.S. Cellular in the U.S.A.

Jerry
Developer

Agreed,

I have reset many times - tried different versions of OS6 and reset the phone.

The only time I have got it to work is when I've wiped and reinstalled the OS, and access the site over wifi before registering with the mobile network. Then it stops working again.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

You cannot access BlackBerry sites, including AppWorld, over WiFi. There's nothing wrong with your OS, that's just the way RIM has set it up.

I hope that sheds some light on the situation. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.